Saturday, November 10, 2007

10 Random Things, Courtesy of Spartacus

I have been tagged for the very first time by Mr. Spartacus, so here are 10 random things about me:

1. I'm originally from New Haven CT, but when my parents split up, my mother moved us back to her native Philadelphia (I was 6), and that's still my hometown.

2. I love to buy books. I can't remember when I was last in a library. I have way too many books.

3. I am a total sucker for overpriced skincare products. I completely believe the hype. I've curtailed the habit somewhat (what with the small children and large mortgage), but the siren call is always audible when I walk through the cosmetics department at a department store.

4. I was a very good student in high school and was named a National Merit Scholarship commended student (didn't make semi-finals) but for some reason, I lost interest and was a terrible student in college. I dropped out of Temple University after 2 years, and have just recently decided that I need to finish my degree.

5. Anyone who's here probably knows this, but my husband is Korean. His mother was very unhappy that her only son was dating a white woman and she refused to attend our wedding. She loves me now; the 2 adorable grandsons might just have something to do with that. Someday I'll tell you more about the time she showed up at my door at 1 AM and burned my ears with Korean invective...I'm pretty sure I learned the Korean word for "ho" that night.

6. I worked in retail for a long time, managing a small boutique and then working in Customer Service for Nordstrom for 7 years, until I had my first child. If the hours and the pay were better, I'd still be doing it...I loved that job. (But I don't miss working weekends, nights, and holidays)

7. My stepfather and I didn't get along when I was growing up. I was convinced that he hated me. When I was 18, after my first year in college, I was asleep one morning when he woke me up and told me that he'd heard on the radio that Springsteen tickets were going on sale in less than an hour....I needed to get up and dressed and he'd drive me to the Ticketron outlet to get in line. I had about $20 so I told him that I couldn't afford the tickets. "Get up", he said, "don't worry about the money." I got up, and fast. We were about 30th in line, and with the $100 he gave me, I got 4 7th row seats and took my 2 best friends and one friend's brother (my sister didn't want to go). Turns out he didn't hate me after all.

8. In 1984, I cast my first presidential vote, for Walter Mondale. In 1988, I voted for Michael Dukakis. I had shaken both of their hands; Mondale's at a rally at the University of Pennsylvania, and Dukakis' at a speech at City Hall in Philadelphia.

In 1992, I was living in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Bill Clinton was going to appear in Wilmington, and my friends wanted to go and hear him speak. I refused to go with them, for fear that I'd shake his hand and jinx the election. I'm pretty sure that I'm responsible for his later win. You're welcome. *

9. What the hell? I'm having a hard time coming up with 10. OK, here's #9...I have a sister who's young enough (20) to be my daughter. (My mom was the only pregnant woman at her 25th high school reunion.) We all love and spoil her to death.

10. My first child, born the natural way, weighed over 10 pounds. Neither my husband or I are large people, so I was a bit of a celebrity in the hospital. My 2nd child came via c-section (breach), and was more average-sized (8 pounds, 9 ounces). They are the funniest children in the world.

There they are! I'm tagging Suzel and Sauntering Soul, because I'm new to their blogs and I don't know much about them yet.

*I was nowhere near Al Gore in 2000, so don't even look at me. Seriously, I had nothing to do with that.

10 comments:

FranIAm said...

Great! I loved learning this stuff.

I am so with you on #2 and #3. Due to my own fiscal issues I am spending more time at the library however and less time at Nordstrom and Sephora, for obvious reasons. Books, potions and lotions, the elixirs of life.

And I too did a retail stint, Crate&Barrel 1995-97. Grat and fun job, hours terrible and money sucked.

Since I am aware of your last name but have not read your blog long enough to know, I was interested to read about your Korean husband and family.

One day I must share with you a Korean woman invective of my own.

Thanks for doing this!

CDP said...

It was fun! A friend of mine worked at Crate and Barrel until very recently. She really liked it, but the hours were finally enough for her (it was a part-time second job). Plus, she spent her entire paycheck on merchandise, as all of us who ever worked retail have done!

Spartacus said...

Okay CDP.

You can keep the clock. Nice work here. Several of these items are totally bloggable. You do know that right? As for the election history, I too cast my very first vote in 1984even though I was old enough (19) to do so in 1982. I voted for Mondale, Dukakis, Clinton, then Gore. I am 2-4 as far as elections go. Nice work.

Whiskeymarie said...

I'm a former retail girl too- eight years, to be exact. I loved and hated it, for many of the same reasons you listed. I do miss some of the discounts, though.

And I would LOVE a sister that young- how fun! I would corrupt her and buy her stuff, and talk about boys, and have slumber parties, and...

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love these memes, it's great way for me to find out more about the blog people I like.

CDP said...

Spartacus: I too am 2 and 4 in presidential elections. I'm hoping that I can get up to .500 after 2012.

WM: It took me a good 2 years to get over losing the discount at Nordstrom...every time I visited, I'd mentally calculate the 33%, then realize...damn, I don't work here anymore.

Dr. Monkey: I'm glad you read my blog, although with NH and Iowa coming up in about 8 weeks, I wonder how you find the time.

FranIAm said...

Monkey/Love have the election in the bag!

Blogging is so today, campaigning... very 5 monkey minutes ago.

CDP said...

Good, because campaigns involve handshakes and it doesn't go down well for presidential candidates who shake my hand.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Hi. I'm totally with you on #'s 2 and 3. My bathroom cupboard is overflowing with Lancome, Keihl's and Bliss. I haven't had a library card in 5 years.

You'll do a lot better in college the 2nd time around, especially if you're the one paying for it. I graduated with honors - eventually.

CDP said...

Thanks! (Kiehl's...mmm). Yes, since it's my money and my very precious time, I'm much more disciplined about the whole thing now.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.