Sunday, December 16, 2007

7 Things

I've been tagged by Rebecca, a very funny new blog friend ("ninja-like swiftness"...still cracking up over that) for Seven Random Things. Frankly, I'm not that interesting and I'm running out of things, having not that long ago done 10 Random Things for Spartacus. But here goes:

1. I read books that I love over and over. Right now I'm reading The Habit of Being, Collected Letters of Flannery O'Connor. I've read it at least 5 times, and this time won't be the last. I've read Little Women more times than I can count, David Copperfield at least a dozen times, and return every 2 or 3 years to several of Muriel Spark's books. I'm the same way with some movies. I could watch Office Space or Rushmore or Miss Congeniality (yes!) a hundred times and I'd still laugh.

2. I haven't figured out how to underscore in Blogger. I've even tried drafting in Word, then pasting into edit HTML mode, and it doesn't work. I mention this because it bothers me that I can't underline book titles in my posts.

3. I am a compulsive handwasher, but I'm not a germaphobe. I'm not easily grossed out; I figure that there's not much that a shower/dishwasher/washing machine can't clean up. Still, I wash my hands about 40 times a day.

4. My house is very neat and clean; I'm compulsive about that, too. I've had to relax my standards a bit since returning to school. I'm beginning to understand (as the great Merrill Markoe once wrote) that cleaning can be an act inspired by the actual presence of dirt!

5. Lest #2-4 give you the idea that I'm an over-the-top OCD case, I will tell you that my car is a frickin' mess. Inside and outside. My husband gives me a hard time about it sometimes, and I tell him that if he wants me to have a clean car, he'll need to clean it himself (which he often does, so really, why should I?)



6. I really like Julia Roberts, but I hate so many of her movies. Paradoxical, no? Pretty Woman? Ick. Stepmom? So bad that I openly mock a character dying of cancer. My Best Friend's Wedding? Vomit. But I still really like her and I'm usually willing to give her movies a chance.

7. I like pink. Always have. I never really went through an anti-pink i'm-not-a-girly-girl stage.


That's my random 7! I've really tagged everyone I know now, so I'm going to have to branch out to people I don't know. Beckeye and Iheartfashion are hereby tagged.

12 comments:

DCup said...

I had to laugh when I read your list. I definitely saw myeself in two things. I can watch the same episodes of British comedies or sci-fi shows in the same evening and still react. or at least like them enough not to switch channels.

Or that could be the inertia from too much house cleaning earlier in the day......exerting the energy to change the channels might just be too much to ask.

(that whole relaxing of standards thing is a challenge, no?"

CDP said...

Yes, it really is!

Sauntering Soul said...

I also don't know how to underscore in Blogger so you're not alone. I figured out how to strike through words once, but can't seem to remember how to do that again either.

I'm the opposite of you and dcup - I can't stand re-reading a book or watching something I've already seen again. However, I can listen to the same CD for months in my car and not get tired of it.

Suze said...

Me and Blogger - we'll we agree to disagree. They agree that I am a complete moron when it comes to Blogger and I can't disagree with them :)

Wyldth1ng said...

Why not pretend, the book title is a link?

CDP said...

SS and Suze--I prefer to think of myself as intellectually challenged.
Wyld--Brilliant!

Spartacus said...

Thanks for the link. Much appreciated.

Given your proclivity for hand-washing, you may have just give a stock broker an investment tip.
"Psst. Hand soap is hot. Pass it on."

I like your choice in reading material. It says alot about a person by what they read. I was figuring there might be some formulaic trashy romances in the list but you've surprised me.

Finally, so ya like Julia Roberts. Yeah she's canned some klunkers, but I liked her in Erin Brokavich and Steel Magnolias. I confess to liking Oceans 11 and 12, too, but let's keep that a secret, okay?

FranIAm said...

You can underscore in the post but not the comments, in my experience. At least that worked for me in the past.

Flannery O'Connor- oh CDP, that is great.

CDP said...

Fran, if you haven't read The Habit of Being (her collected letters, published years after her death), you should get hold of it right away. I've read it so many times, but this time, it's made me think about you!

Spartacus--no formulaic trashy books for me, only formulaic trashy movies. I'm a book snob, but I'll see just about anything at the movies. I liked the Oceans movies, too, and Erin Brockovich!

Iheartfashion said...

I'm with you: good books, trashy movies.
But I wish I had your zeal for cleaning. My house currently looks like a boutique exploded all over the place (I'm selling stuff on eBay).

BeckEye said...

Arrgh. I hate memes but I love making new blogfriends. What to do...what to do...

Ah! I may be able to work this into some sort of 2007 recap! Stay tuned.

CDP said...

iheart: your blog is so beautiful that I'm sure your house is too!
beckeye: I look forward to seeing it!

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.