Thursday, February 14, 2008

Movie Candy and Foreign Languages


I finally got to see "Juno" last night, and I can't recommend it enough. Two friends from my neighborhood and I met for dinner and then walked to the theater to see the movie. I had to drag them away from the table at 6:45, since the movie started at 7. I HATE getting to a movie late; I like to get my Sno-Caps, I like to get a good seat and I like to see ALL of the previews. Did I feel a bit silly when it took us 30 seconds to walk to the theater, 30 seconds to buy our tickets, and we were 3 of the 10 people at this particular showing? Only a little.



The elderly ticket-taker asked us what we were seeing; when we told him, he said "Oh, good choice...it's the best thing playing. You're going to cry! I did!" I found this charming, even more so after I'd seen the movie.



I ate a salad for dinner, so I could have both popcorn and Sno-Caps. I offered Sno-Caps to both of my friends, they both said "maybe later".

"Maybe later"? I EXPLAINED to them that unless they were thinking 30 seconds later, that there wouldn't BE a later...but halfway through the movie, they're asking me to pass the Sno-Caps. Did I not tell them that they wouldn't last that long? I didn't buy them to make jewelry out of them. Sheesh.



We loved the movie. The fact that we'd already seen most of the funny lines on the commercials didn't make them less funny while we were watching the movie. I've seen criticism of the dialogue as overly clever, but I didn't find it so at all; there were very clever, inventive lines, but most of what makes the dialogue so good is that it's real; Diablo Cody is very imaginative, but she also has a very good ear. It's also nice to see movie parents of teenagers depicted as smart and funny and human rather than idiot foils for their adolescent children. And we did all cry in several places, most particularly at the note...if you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it.


Additional note: The Korean word for hat (at least for a particular kind of hat) is "kat". So "koondang kat" is the literal translation from English to Korean of "asshat". This might be useful to you at some point.

16 comments:

Suze said...

I really enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would. Also, I usually am finished the candy before the previews are over - so everyone who goes with me knows to ask for some immediately.

DCup said...

Dang it! Another week and I'll be the only person in this corner of the blogosphere who hasn't seen Juno. My daughter The Dancer just raves about it.

MMmm. Movie candy. MathMan gets Sno-Caps. I'm Junior Mints. I share, but only with attitude!

Spartacus said...

It's Strawberry or Cherry Twizzlers for me CDP. As for Juno, I've been dying to see it, but just haven't gotten around to it. I saw Cloverfield with my sons a couple of weeks ago, but then again, I've always been a sucker for cheesy monster movies. I'm such a koondang kat.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I know what you mean about eating that movie candy quick. As soon as the lights go down my sweet tooth demands all the candy be in my belly.

FranIAm said...

I loved that movie and it made me cry a lot. Mr He Is and I saw it and although there was no pregnancy at the time, the relationship between us way back when we were in college together was very similar to theirs.

And perhaps, at age 50 still oddly is!

Plus - CDP - you scare me sometimes. We must have been separated at birth despite the great difference in our ages. Holy crap- getting there, buying stuff, watching the previews.

And then it takes like 30 seconds to do all that.

hahahahah. We should go to the movies together.

CDP said...

Suze--due to steely self-discipline, I usually make it at least 10 minutes into the movie before the candy is gone.

Dcup--I love Junior Mints, but they're definitely second to Sno-caps. See the movie this weekend if you can, it's great.

Spartacus--Strawberry Twizzlers are awesome movie candy, too. My husband wants to see Cloverfield; he's going to see it with his friends.

Dr. M--And it has to be candy AND popcorn, right? Not one or the other.

Fran--you're not THAT much older than me! But it's true, we have way too much in common.

The Guv'ner said...

I too liked the movie more than I expected. The dialog was great and quirky and it took the movie from average fare to something special.

I've never had Sno Caps though what the hell are those? They sound great. Of course they're candy so hey. They're hardly going to suck.

CDP said...

Guv'ner--I know, I really can't think of a single candy that I dislike enough that I'd refuse to eat it. Sno-caps are awesome; semi-sweet chocolate with sprinkled tiny white candy beads. They're especially good with popcorn.

FranIAm said...

BTW- we are very similar but you can always have ALL of the Neccos and the Sno-Caps.

Sno-caps? Sheesh. Your taste in candy is appalling, but I won't start a war over it.

Appalling, perhaps that was a bit strong.

No. No not at all. Gimme a break, gimme a break - gimme a break of that KitKat Bar!

BeckEye said...

Mmmmmmmm Sno-Caps. I either get those or catch some Raisinets. I rarely go to the movies these days though.

CDP said...

Fran--I'll concede that Neccos are an acquired taste, but Sno Caps? What's not to like?

BeckEye--I know...note that I blog about every movie I see. That's because actually seeing one in a movie theater is an occasion worthy of documenting.

FranIAm said...

those little white hard bits annoy the crap out of me and ruin the chocolate...

just sayin'.

sno-cap head.

dguzman said...

Mmmm Sno-caps....

I usually just get popcorn and a soda at the movies. The candy is just too tempting, though, so sometimes I get Jordan Almonds, my all-time favorite.

CDP said...

HamIAm!

DGuzman--what movie theater sells Jordan Almonds? I never see them anywhere anymore, I love them too.

Whiskeymarie said...

I can't believe I haven't seen this movie yet. Hopefully this fact will make dcup feel better.

And snocaps rock. Hard.

And? I once ate an entire bucket of popcorn WITH buttery grease before the movie started.
So we got another bucket.

FranIAm said...

Jordan almonds?
SnoCaps?

I feel friendless in the movie theatre corner of the blogworld, except for when I go with Whiskeymarie and we eat that bad "butter product" popcorn.

I worked at a movie theatre when I was in HS and college. You just don't want to about that butter substance.

I think Halliburton makes it.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.