Friday, February 22, 2008

Party Girl

Snow Day!

Not for me, I had to take a vacation day, but schools are closed here and I was more than happy to blow off work to hang out at home. I'm supposed to drive to Philadelphia tomorrow for a surprise party for my cousin's 30th birthday. Since my husband has to work, I have to decide between taking the kids with me (3yo will need to stop to use the bathroom at least 5 times during the ride) or having my sister-in-law stay with them and going myself.

Or I could just stay home.

It takes an EVENT these days to get me to willingly leave the house, let alone drive 100 miles. I don't mind driving per se (I actually like it) but I'm inertia personified between December and March. Leaving the house for any reason other than the necessity of earning a living, procuring food and other supplies, and going to school requires a major pep talk to myself. If I could attend this party remotely, I would. The technology exists. We can shoot a spacecraft out of the sky with one shot and only what? 30 or 40 million dollars? So why not an uplink/downlink remote satellite hookup allowing me to see everyone and them to see me, and I don't actually leave Silver Spring? In fact, I don't actually leave my living room?

Inertia. And indecision. I should go, right? I love my cousin and her girlfriend! They're totally fun and they know how to throw a party!

But it's so far away! I hate leaving the kids, but I also hate stopping at every rest stop in Maryland.

Everyone in my family has called me since yesterday. The few who haven't called will call today. To make sure I'm coming.

Maybe it will snow again tomorrow! Maybe there will be a crippling ice storm!

I really have no idea what I'm going to do. I guess I'll have to decide at some point today. Suggestions are welcome.

12 comments:

christina said...

i like to assure everyone i'll be there, then decide for real about five minutes before i need to leave/or not leave -- which is what i always lean toward. i like going to bed thinking "hmm ... i wonder if i'll end up going to that thing tomorrow ... i can't wait to find out!"

CDP said...

This is EXACTLY my approach. It drives my mother insane. For some reason, she needs to KNOW exactly who will be where and when. I need to leave here at 3 to get to my sister's house by 6...so 2:30 seems like a perfectly reasonable time to make a decision.

FranIAm said...

I cannot address this as I am notorious for bailing out of family parties in winter.

Like I did last weekend...

Not today dear- dear family that is, I have a headache.

From lying.

Sauntering Soul said...

I have to drive a long way tomorrow too. But it's only about 70 miles each way and it's to visit an aunt who had hip surgery and has been suffering through cancer for the past TWELVE years. Also, I live in Georgia and we have no snow. And I have no 3 year old to make me stop along the way. I have no excuses. I suppose this is of no help to you at all.

BeckEye said...

I was hoping it would snow enough that NYC would basically have to shut down, but no such luck. It just snowed enough to making my commute to work hellish and slow. At least I don't have to drive in this mess, though.

Suze said...

Can you stop by and visit my relatives while you're in Philly? Well you're gonna be there and all :)

Distributorcap said...

i have a friend in Phila you can visit for me too....

we have 5" of snow in manhattan - time to say in and drink

CDP said...

Fran--that cracked me up

SS--No, no help whatsoever.

BeckEye--I was so happy schools were closed today, it gave me an absolutely ironclad legitimate reason to stay home.

Suze and Dcap--I vote that Dcap should go to Philadelphia and fulfill all of our social obligations. He's in Manhattan...he hops on the Metroliner at Penn Station and he's there in an hour. Dcap, have a good time, don't forget to send our regards to everyone. Another problem solved!

dguzman said...

My family would love DCap too! I authorize him to fly to Texas for me anytime.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Stay home and tell them one of the kids is not feeling well.

DCup said...

I'm sitting here, late, wondering if you went or not.

When you wrote "It takes an EVENT to get me out of the house..." I said to MathMan "I think CDP and I are the same person."

But I don't have the excuse of snow or even wicked cold. Just plain old inertia, blog addiction, Fran's headache from lying and a general meh about dealing with people.

I don't know what I'll do if I have to get a job where I actually leave the house!

If you did go, I hope you had a safe trip.

libhom said...

Hi,

On the Politits blog, I saw a comment of yours saying you were going to participate in the March 19 blogswarm against the Iraq War. Is it OK if we add you blog to the list of participating blogs?

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.