Sunday, April 13, 2008

High Five, Dcup!


I didn’t expect that Dcup would be the first blogger I’d meet face-to-face. She lives in Georgia, and I live in Maryland, so our paths don’t necessarily cross. But she was in Washington this weekend on business and she emailed me, so we decided to hang out on Saturday. I thought I'd drive into town from my house in Silver Spring and meet her at her swank hotel, thinking “It’s Saturday! It’ll take 20 minutes!” And maybe it would have taken 20 minutes, had it not been for the Cherry Blossom parade (I’d forgotten about it) and the World Bank and IMF meetings (I had no idea). Dcup waited patiently for over an hour as I fought traffic, swerved to avoid oblivious pedestrians, and abandoned hope of street parking.

After weeks of cloudy, chilly drizzle, Saturday was perfect. High 70s, sunny, it felt like May. I wanted to take DCup to Kramerbooks, and we walked to Dupont Circle in the sun, talking about politics, kids, books, houses, cookies and everything else that occurred to us. We were thirsty after the mile and a half walk, so after we looked at books, we found a seat in the café, only to be ejected by an officious hostess who pointed out the “please wait to be seated sign” in a tone that indicated that we were either illiterate, or dangerous insurgents. Well, excuuuuuse us.

Properly installed in an authorized seat, we looked at the menu. We thought about iced tea, with perhaps a cookie to share (it was around 3 pm, not time for a meal). Then we decided that after the walk (which would be repeated), we could each have our own cookie. Then we noticed nachos on the snack menu; these were being delivered to another table even as we sat, so we decided to split an order of nachos. Then we found that there were no cookies to be had. But there was pie…

Dcup had Kahlua Walnut pie, and I had Key Lime pie. Both were delicious (I know this because I tasted hers. She took my word on the Key Lime). Yes, 3 miles of walking were definitely necessary.

I’ve noted previously that having been to a place a dozen times does not in any way guarantee that I won’t get lost, and Saturday was a case in point. Dcup and I walked down Connecticut to H, ending up at Lafayette Park, where she took a nice shot of the White House. If you’re familiar with Washington, you know that the state streets run in large diagonals cutting across the grids formed by the numbered (north/south) and lettered (east-west) streets. Throw a bunch of circles in there, and add in the fact that the letters skip from I (sometimes written as “eye” so as not to be confused with “1”) to K (supposedly because Pierre L’Enfant, the city’s planner, hated John Jay and omitted the letter J, fearing that “J street” would eventually become “Jay street” and interpreted as a tribute to Jay), and you can end up with a problem. Well, I can. As we were leaving Lafayette Park, I specifically told Dcup that whatever we did, we should avoid ending up on New York Avenue (which intersects Pennsylvania diagonally about a block from the White House) because once you’ve headed a block or two north on NY, you are really 6 blocks or so from where you intended to be on Pennsylvania. Thanks to my directional challenge and the nonstop talk (covering Clinton, Obama, the 2000 election (outrage), the 2004 election (depression), and Dcup’s failed love affair with John McCain), we were, of course, headed north on New York, six blocks out of our way. Thank God for landmarks. As I told Dcup, I hate to be given directions that go “east on X for 6 lights, then west on Y for 5 lights…”. I can’t be driving and counting lights. Give me a landmark…an ugly house, a Starbucks, a church with a steeple…



Recognizing several of the shops and restaurants in the area, I finally got us back to Dcup’s hotel, much to my relief (now she’ll only think I’m a little goofy, not a complete moron!) and to hers (where the hell is she taking me?). We needed to chat for another minute (or hour and a half), now covering clothing, nefarious corporate dress codes and our shared fear and hatred of sheer hose, more politics, and Dcup’s desire to own Putty’s Eight Ball Jacket. At 7:30 or so, we finally said goodbye. I’m so glad we got together. Because she’s AWESOME, that’s why.

25 comments:

Mathman6293 said...

That's right!

CDP said...

High Five, Mathman!

Suze's Sass said...

Sounds like a great time!

Whiskeymarie said...

i have yet to meet any of my fellow bloggers that I didn't already know before I started this business.
If I'm ever near DC I totally want to meet you, and if I'm ever in GA I need to meet the gal behind the t*ts.

Sounds like you two had a pretty great day, lost or not!

CDP said...

Suze--it was, we totally lost track of time (among other things)

WM--Come on down!

DCup said...

I had a blast! Now that I know the woman behind the Neccos and you know the chick behind the face paint, I can say that meeting our blogpals is a good thing. You are hardly goofy! You are the awesome one!

Thanks for taking me to Kramerbooks. What an incredible store.

I guess I just can't avoid New York, any way you slice it.

FranIAm said...

I am so freaking jealous I could scream... I want to meet both of you!!!

Sounds wonderful, glad you two got to hang.

susan said...

Necco wafers? I thought that was a picture of your favorite drug stash. Oh well, I guess Neccos are drugs too depending on how you ingest them.

Glad you two got to meet and happy to hear you enjoyed yourselves without running into Homeland Security even once.

Wyldth1ng said...

Snazzy.
Sounds like an awesome time.

CDP said...

Dcup--I'm only moderately goofy (and no, YOU'RE the awesome one!:))
I had a great time, too.

Fran--We talked about you, we both want to meet you, too!

Susan--My drug stash, Ha!

Wyld--It was!

dguzman said...

So jealous! Sounds like a blast, no matter how lost you got.

CDP said...

We had a great fucking time (working on my score) :)

Sauntering Soul said...

Sounds like an awesome afternoon and evening!

I was once in a long distance relationship with a guy who lived in DC and went up there every few months for a couple of years. He got lost fairly often too if it makes you feel any better.

CDP said...

SS--it totally does. Men don't get lost as often (or admit they do), so I do feel better! And I got us back where we needed to go, just took a little while!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I'm jealous you got to meet her before I did. I live closer to her than you do.

Del-V said...

Sounds like you guys walked all over the place. I worked at 16th and M Street and I never thought about walking to the White House from there... forget about walking to Dupont. I'm a huge fan of the Metro.

CDP said...

Dr. M--your time will come, my simian friend

Del-V--Me too, but it was a really nice day. And did I mention the pie? Which we ate all of?

BeckEye said...

I love bloggie meetings! Sounds like you had fun.

I want Putty's Dr. Zaius coat.

pistols at dawn said...

Having spent many hours in that general Dupont area, I am sure she was the only D cup for miles.

DC would indeed be a lovely city, would that it were not for all the people in the way at its main attractions.

Hell, a line at the AFI Silver is enough to make me bail on the night...possibly after a delicious Tastee Diner milkshake. Or two.

Gnugs said...

Getting lost in DC is at the top of the list of "things to do while in DC." At the bottom, you will find "walking up all those damn steps at the pencil" and/or "get arrested by sitting in Abe Lincoln's Lap."

CDP said...

BeckEye--I want Elaine's Putumayo outfit.

PAD--Now I want a tuna melt and fries at the Tastee Diner. Right now.

CDP said...

Gnugs--are you talking about the infamous Exorcist steps? I wasn't impressed the first time I saw them, since I grew up in a very hilly neighborhood in Philadelphia (Manayunk) which has tons of steps built into hillsides; I used to walk up and down a set of more than 100 stairs on my way to and from school every day (of course, that was barefoot, and in several feet of snow, all year round).

Dr. Zaius said...

Wow! Cool! Thanks for sharing!

CDP said...

It was awesome!

Italian Bird said...

Yes, she is awesome, glad that both of you had a great time,
thanks for sharing :)

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.