Sunday, May 25, 2008

Safari

"Freakin' rabbit."

"Where?"

"Right there in the backyard. I'm going to go sit on it. (that's cop talk, for keeping a close watch). It's mocking me."



"The rabbit is not mocking you. I am."

(I've made that joke on this blog before, but I still think it's funny)


"Are you gonna get the wabbit? I'm gonna help you. Where's my stick?"

"Yeah, me too, Ahpa. I'll get my binoculars. Hey Apha, I need an Indiana Jones hat. And a rope. I need an Indiana Jones hat and a rope"

"Me too! I need a Bindiana Jones hat too!"

There they go, an intrepid little band of explorers, determined once and for all to root out the rabbit in her lair. My husband is convinced that the rabbit he's been seeing is pregnant; he hopes to catch her in one of his Havahart traps and release her in the park before she has her litter in our yard. We've caught three so far this spring; the Great Korean Hunter and his men love nothing more than to load the trap into the car, drive it to the park, and release their captured prey. Silver Spring, Maryland is where men are men.

11 comments:

FranIAm said...

Oh this is brilliant.

Just brilliant!

BeckEye said...

This just reminds me of that scene in Phenomenon when John Travolta realizes that he's trapped the rabbit in his yard, opens the gate and sits on the porch and watches it hop out.

Ta-daa! Further proof that I can work John Travolta into any conversation.

DCup said...

Good thing you've got those brave men to protect you from that giant pregnant rabbit!

enc said...

I'm such a sucker for these stories. This has Mr.OM written all over it. You should see how gooey he gets over animals.

I loved this.

Dr. Zaius said...

Cool! I bet they eat quiche. And yogurt.

CDP said...

Fran--thank you!

BeckEye--how does Michael Johns fit into this? He'd look cute in an Indiana Jones hat, right?

dcup--Exactly. Cute little fluffy tailed rodents get plenty of what for at our place.

enc--the boys had to see for themselves that the bunnies hop happily away, the older one was rather upset the first time we trapped one, but once he saw it in the trap munching on an apple while they drove it to the park, he was fine. Thanks!

Dr. Z--the tiny one LOVES yogurt. Haven't introduced quiche yet, do scrabled eggs count?

CDP said...

Fran--thank you!

BeckEye--how does Michael Johns fit into this? He'd look cute in an Indiana Jones hat, right?

dcup--Exactly. Cute little fluffy tailed rodents get plenty of what for at our place.

enc--the boys had to see for themselves that the bunnies hop happily away, the older one was rather upset the first time we trapped one, but once he saw it in the trap munching on an apple while they drove it to the park, he was fine. Thanks!

Dr. Z--the tiny one LOVES yogurt. Haven't introduced quiche yet, do scrabled eggs count?

Sauntering Soul said...

I was at my dad's house Saturday night and he has a family of rabbits living under his deck. Maybe your men can come to Atlanta and teach him some rabbit trapping skills.

pistols at dawn said...

Well done, family. My parents took me rabbit hunting once and then left me in the woods to die.

I showed them!

Suze's Sass said...

Can he drove a little farther down south and catch the bunch in my yard?

CDP said...

SS--just let me know when, they fear no rabbits

Pistols--Never mind on the babysitting this weekend. Thanks anyway!

Suze--yes, we'll schedule you right after SS.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.