Monday, July 7, 2008

Apparently, I still have a blog...

Doesn't Google just automatically update this for me now? I have some vague post ideas clamoring for my attention, but I have limited mental resources today, so they'll have to clamor on until one of them just steps up and writes itself for me. Until then, some notes from the holiday weekend:


*On Friday, 7yo announces that he wants to walk home from the pool. I say "OK, I'll walk with you", and he sighs and says "no, I know the way! I can walk myself! I'm SEVEN YEARS OLD". Little do I know that I'll hear him announce that he's SEVEN YEARS OLD at least twenty-five more times during the weekend. I finally have to remind him that having been there at his birth, I KNOW how old he is.

*Did you know that they don't call swim meets for rain?
Did you know that swim meets last for approximately four hours?
Did you know that timers don't leave the deck for the entire meet?
Now you know.

*Sunday movie matinee with the kids: Kung Fu Panda. ("Why can't we see "Indiana Jones"? It won't scare me! I'm SEVEN YEARS OLD!") 3yo asks for his sweatshirt, but won't allow me to help him put it on...he wants to fight it. "Evvybody be quiet...I'm de Dragon Warrior. Hi-ya! Hi-ya! Hi-ya!" A frenzy of chopping arms and kicking legs and the sweatshirt is soundly beaten. Fortunately, the people behind us find this very amusing. And then it gets downright cold in the theater, so the Dragon Warrior and his defeated foe are joined.

*I can't believe I didn't blog about this as soon as it happened...on Thursday night, I order a margarita while out to dinner with a friend, and I am asked for identification. It must be the lighting. Because I'm 42 YEARS OLD.


I hope you all had a nice weekend.

18 comments:

3carnations said...

My mom was carded sometime in the last decade-plus, because I remember her telling me she told the person that carded her "I have a DAUGHTER who's old enough to drink!"

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm going to be 40 next month (ACK!) and I still get carded on very rare occasions. Of course since I only drink about 3 drinks in an entire year it doesn't happen very often. It does put a little skip in my step when it happens though.

liss n kids said...

I love the scene of 3YO kung-fu-ing the sweatshirt!
Nice job getting carded!

CDP said...

3carnations--I don't have a kid old enough to drink yet, but I could have!

SS--I know, it was a boost for the rest of the weekend!

Liss--It was pretty hilarious (the kung fu, that is)

DCup said...

I've met you. I can totally see you getting carded.

Suze's Sass said...

Oh now I'm officially jealous that you've been carded.

susan said...

The last time I got carded my driver's licence was made of cardboard.. or was it papyrus?

I've been in the same difficulty coming up with posting ideas. There I was in the midst of a 3 day weekend and no story reared its little head. Naturally, when I woke up this morning I knew exactly what to write about next but I had to go to work. At least I know what I'll be doing for the next few evenings - esp since I don't have any little ones to take to the pool or the movies (sniff)

FranIAm said...

You are 42? No way sister.

Enjoy the carding. You deserve it!

I got carded on my 40th birthday and then as if by sheer luck on my 50th. Now on 50 they were just training a bartender to card everyone. I graciously obliged!

I am 50 years old! Hey if your kid can announce 7, I am all for my own gig.

You are missed when you are not here.

pistols at dawn said...

I got carded this weekend, but then again, I'm not 42, so you win. I do get the "isn't it ridiculous I have to ask you, you old broken man" eyeroll, though.

BeckEye said...

I LOVE getting carded. It feels good, doesn't it?

Everyone says this panda movie is quite good. I'll probably still wait until it hits Netflix.

WendyB said...

"Doesn't Google just automatically update this for me now?" BWAH! Seriously. They need to start doing that. BTW, I love you for being just over a year older than me. Thanks for that. Oh, and I got carded recently -- I even have a witness -- ENC of Observationmode!

CDP said...

Dcup--you are too kind.

Suze--I'm going to be retelling that story for years

Susan--Papyrus, tee hee.

Fran--I know, I've told the poor child several times since this weekend that "I'm 42 YEARS OLD!"

Pistols--I do win, because I got the very flattering "No WAY!" look when the server looked at my license and saw 1965 as the year of birth.

BeckEye--The panda movie was OK; I've learned to appreciate these animated movies (not love them, but appreciate them. Ratatouille was the exception, that one I did love)

WendyB--I would NEVER have guessed your age at 41 based on your pictures, so I can easily believe that you were carded.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Dragon Warrior is no dummy, he knows when to become one with his former foe.

Dr. Zaius said...

My little sister was on the swim team when we were kids. She used to win all of the time, so we had to show up and watch. They were incredibly boring to watch, and they lasted for hours and hours and hours. As a sport, it is almost as boring as baseball.

CDP said...

Dr. M--Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...

Dr. Z--It's fun when it's sunny; definitely less so when it rains!

enc said...

I love reading about your kids. And your life.

And your adventures as a fellow 42-year-old! I haven't been carded in years. *sigh*

CDP said...

enc--thanks! (and you should just start going to places that have REALLY poor lighting...)

dguzman said...

OMG I got carded at a liquor store in Maryland! It was awesome! And I'm 43! Woohoo!

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.