Friday, July 18, 2008

Dude! Awesome!

Reasons why today is awesome:

1. I finally got a grade on my first project (one paper on Death Comes for the Archbishop and one on The Sun Also Rises. I’m not really sure why these were combined as one assignment, because they’re two entirely separate papers). 97 out of 100, with the comment “supernally good”. Never mind that I had to look up “supernal” (of course, I could infer from the context, which involved the word “good” and a high score, but I like to be sure), I’m rather happy about it. And relieved, because I’ve almost finished the second project (papers on The Unvanquished and Jonah’s Gourd Vine) and this means I don’t have to scrap the entire thing and start over.

2. Tomorrow is the last regular swim meet of the season, followed by Division Championships next week. Starting on August 2, I can sleep past 6:30 on Saturdays. I could weep with joy.

3. I just had lunch with a friend I hadn’t seen in over a year. She was lovely, as always.

4. My children were hilarious this morning. If you haven’t seen a 7 year old boy and a 3 year old boy sing “shake shake shake shake-a shake shake” while actually shaking what I (their mama) gave them, let me assure you that it’s pure gold comedically, all the more so when the boys in question have no idea that they’re being observed.

Happy weekend!

13 comments:

enc said...

What a lovely post!
1. Good, it's about time that professor got off his/her heinie and gave you a grade. I'm glad to hear you're pleased with it.

2. Hooray for sleeping past 6:30am on Saturdays. Whoever designed early starts for weekend sports should have to suffer the consequences. What those are, I don't know. But I'll think of something.

3. Hooray for friends.

4. I wish I'd seen that shake-fest.

:)

Matty Boy said...

I'm sure the boys were going for the sexysexy, but if you can't get that working, comedy gold is always a good fall back position.

DCup said...

Excellent you!!!!! Congrats on a great grade and yay! for more sleep.

I love watching/listening to my kids when they don't know I am. I'll bet your little men were a riot!

CDP said...

enc--thank you! But it appears that you have gone to the dark side vis a vis "Hiney"! (and speaking of hineys, the shake-fest was awesome)

matty boy--yes, the fact that they were deadly earnest made it that much funnier

dcup--thank you! I feel like I can slack a little this weekend. Just a little, of course...

pistols at dawn said...

You're totally a nerd now, so stop sitting at my cool lunch table.

BeckEye said...

What DOES supernal mean? I'm what smart people call torpid.

I laughed so hard when I got to your #4. I'm like obsessed with that song now after hearing it once on the radio. I may have to even do a post on what a teen-poppy mood I've been in lately...digging on Metro Station, OneRepublic, Rihanna, Chris Brown, Katy Perry, etc etc.

CDP said...

Pistols--totally a nerd "now"? As in I once was something other than? Well, that's about as high as I've ever aspired socially, so I can live with that.

BeckEye--"Supernal" means "superlative in a celestial sense". I choose to interpret this as "this paper is so effing awesome that maybe God wrote it".

Matty Boy said...

Gods only get a 97? Wow, that is one tough grading curve.

FranIAm said...

Yay! Your grade!!! Yay - dude that so rocks.

I love this post- your light just shines (and I guess shakes) from within it.

susan said...

Glad to hear you did so well. With the effort you put into it 'supernal' is likely an understatement.

I once met a friend who'd come back to visit after 10 years and it took just 10 seconds for the first shock of the mutual changes to register and then pass. We laughed and laughed.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

I expected no less from you than supernal as I've known for awhile that you are divine.

Glad that you can finally relax and enjoy this new venture with some confidence.

Shake it!

Spartacus said...

Congrats on your grades. Tell the boys to keep shakin it until their booties fall off. That's what life's all about.

CDP said...

MattyBoy--I KNOW! That's the FIRST thing I thought when I looked up the word! Ha!

Fran--thanks...it's been under the proverbial bushel for a while, but it might be coming out.

Susan--thanks.
Yes, I saw a friend 2 years ago who I hadn't seen for almost 8 years (she had been living in Africa and elsewhere) and it was a shock to both of us...hey! You're a grown-up now!

Lady--thank you, my dear. That's mutual, of course.

Spartacus--thank you, that's good advice

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.