Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Same Stuff, Different Closet

I am a creature of habit, a slave to routine, and in no area of life is this more true than in my so-called fashion choices.

I went shopping at lunchtime yesterday. I bought a hoodie and 2 long-sleeved tshirts. Now I can add to the CDP Memorial Collection of Tshirts and Hoodies. I’m not sure why I do this, really. Oh, I can always use another long-sleeved tshirt, especially the nice tissue-weight kind that layers well. But I have PLENTY of them. The two I bought today are not substantially different from the ones I already have. And it’s not a hoarding thing, either; I’m far too neat to be a packrat. I had actually gone shopping for a summer dress. Not for any particular occasion; I just wanted a dress. This isn’t as easy as it sounds. I find dress shopping uniquely stressful; even the annual swimsuit hunt doesn’t provoke the same anxiety. Wearing a dress seems to require a level of groomed and coiffed girly perfection that’s beyond my capability.

I’m not a slob, by any means. I like clothes and fashion as much as the next girl, and I have a particular weakness for skincare products and handbags. I just can’t always manage to get everything working at the same time. If I have time for makeup, then my hair might go unstyled. If my hair is having a rare day of fabulousness (such as is happening today—here is why), then I certainly have a monstrous blemish on my chin. Manicures are an utter waste of time; I do my best to keep my hands looking nice but I have an unholy compulsion to pick at my cuticles, so they usually look like I’ve spent the day in a cotton field. There is a great appeal for me in the idea of crisp, polished Rosalind Russell perfection. There’s equal appeal, though, in the idea of everyday, low-maintenance, ready-for-whatever serviceability. And though I might occasionally long for and even attempt to attain the former, I know that the latter is the realm in which I belong. In that realm, a person needs hoodies. And tshirts.

15 comments:

dguzman said...

My habits are much like yours. I tend to buy the same kind of clothing in every color offered, whether it's t-shirts (long sleeve in winter, short slv in summer), polo-type shirts (pique knit preferred), or shorts (NO jeans shorts, please!). My "wardrobe" is rather ridiculous. AND I have TWO monster zits on my chin. WTF?

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm the same. I blame it on wanting to be able to mix and match and spend less money on clothes, but that's really not it. I've had two people recently ask me why I wear brown ALL THE TIME. It's simple really, people used to make comments about me wearing nothing but black all the time so I decided to change a little bit. I get more stuck in a rut with colors than I do a certain style of shirt.

r cubed said...

I agree, no matter what I set out shopping for, I always end up with tees and hoodies. Even if I do try to break out and buy a big kid blouse or dress, it sits on the far side of my closet forever unworn.

BeckEye said...

I'm with ya. I don't know how many black shirts I have. I'm starting to look like the female version of Simon Cowell.

I also notice that if I have on a nice outfit, my hair will look like crap, or if my hair looks good, my makeup looks bad, etc etc. And then I see all these perfectly put together bitches on the subway and just want to push them onto the tracks. But I'm probably better rested than they are. I bet they all have to get up at 4 am to look that way, or at least that's what I choose to believe.

CDP said...

Dguzman--well, today is a rare day for me...my hair looks good and I DO NOT have a blemish on my chin. So you must have mine. Sorry, sister.

SS--Like you, I am fixated on a very few colors and like dguzman, I will buy 3 of the same shirt, in those few colors. It's so nice to know that I am not alone.

R--that's the part I didn't blog about...every time I try to break out of this rut (and really, why do I do that, since I don't really MIND the rut), whatever I buy ends up unworn.

BeckEye--of course they do!

Worker Mommy said...

Ok so you have kids, you work, you go to school... I'm pretty sure you're entitled not to be 100% put together every day.

(at least that's what I keep telling myself)

pistols at dawn said...

It's been years since I've dated a girl who carried a purse with her more than 25% of the time. I always prefer the ones who need three minutes to get ready, because anyone vainer than that is with the wrong effing dude.

DCup said...

This post is so you. I understand that comfort zone.

I left the thrift store last night with three vneck tees.

And I think a great handbag is way more important that manicured nails.

susan said...

So Sauntering Soul wears brown instead of black? That's very funny. I'm still wearing black - some of which is old enough to be charcoal gray. Funny how there are shades of black depending on the fabric and how many times it's been washed. On the other hand, I do have some nice silk scarves in lots of colors.. because I paint them myself.

CDP said...

WM--exactly.

Pistols--I carry a purse with me nearly all the time, but that's because I can't fit all of the Lego people, Hotwheels cars, fruit snacks and husband's phone into the pockets of the khaki shorts I spend nearly the entire summer in.

Dcup--Me too; given the choice between a new bag and new shoes (or new nearly anything else), I'll take the bag.

Susan--Almost my entire wardrobe is black, white, brown, cream, or pink.

Dr. Zaius said...

I have no fashion sense whatsoever. I hate to buy clothes, especially shoes. Argh!

MichaƩle said...

My 14 y/o old has taken to raiding my closet which would be great if I could reciprocate but a 40-year-old wearing a 14 y/o's tshirts and jeans...just plain ol' sad. One of those shows that kidnaps you and makes you buy new clothes is probably secretly videotaping me as we speak.

enc said...

You just verbalized everything I feel about clothes. I love the "idea" of looking fashionable and swift, but I never bother to do it, because my life doesn't call for it. That's why I have a "fantasy" life for all the hot boots I post, and all the lovely clothes I'll never wear.

I have lots of long-sleeved t-shirts, too. And I was just looking at hoodies online last night. Creature of habit.

Whiskeymarie said...

I can pull it all together for a day, but never, ever two in a row.

And on those magical days where I pull it all together and leave the house looking like va-voom, by the time I get wherever I'm going I somehow manage to get a ketchup or gravy stain on my shirt, even when I haven't eaten either.

White, v-neck t-shirts and black turtlenecks are my addiction of choice.
Hello, my name is Whiskey and I am a creature of habit.
"Hi Whiskey!"

CDP said...

Hi Whiskey!
I've already admitted that I have a problem, which is of course the first step toward recovery, but will I recover? Not likely.

ENC--I'm glad you came clean. I love fashion blogs, but I'm always a little afraid of being exposed as a fraud when I comment on a couture dress or Prada shoes!

Michaele--I know, I worry about that too, I'm always afraid that my sister will turn me in to WNTW

Dr. Z--just run your campaign, and let the fabulous Ms. G. choose your clothing and accessories.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.