Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This Town Ain't Big Enough for You and Me

I was asleep, and pretty soundly, at 3:30 this morning. That’s how I like it. So I wasn’t happy when the phone rang, and loudly. It wasn’t Simon, it was K’s sergeant, asking him to come into the office right away. There were two separate shootings within a mile of one another, both of them less than a mile from my house. We’d heard helicopters overhead earlier in the night, and K listened to his radio to see if anything was going on, but not hearing anything out of the ordinary, he went back to sleep, and so did I. Pretty soundly, did I mention that? Because I’m seriously tired, dude. I couldn’t go back to sleep, worrying about gunslinging desperadoes wandering my neighborhood, so I was awake til nearly 6, and then I had to get up at 6:30. I’m seriously tired, dude. I think I said that already. I want a sandwich for lunch, but I can’t get it together enough to decide what kind. If I go to the deli and tell them to put some stuff between two slices of whatever, I wonder what I’ll end up with. Maybe I’ll try it. Then I can blog about that too.

Neither the Washington Post nor the local news channel’s website had anything about the shootings. I just sent a terse note to the Washington Post suggesting that they look into it. Silver Spring isn’t the most pristine and crime-free town in Maryland, but two gun battles within a mile and an hour of one another? That’s some news, right there. I’m cranky, too. I think I’ll go get my something on whatever sandwich. With a giant Diet Coke. If I’m going to stand on a pool deck wielding a stopwatch for three hours tonight, I need to wake up.

(I tried to add a picture of a sandwich, but Blogger must be seriously tired, dude. Use your imagination.)

19 comments:

dguzman said...

When I feel too tired to pick something out at a restaurant or wherever, I just say, "I'm a vegetarian. Bearing that in mind, surprise me." I usually get something edible!

DCup said...

I can totally see you shooting off a terse note to WaPo.

Stay safe. Wield your stopwatch with care.

And it's probably too late for sandwich suggestions, but I understand there's a bit of caffeine in peanut M&Ms. You know, for this afternoon when you're dealing with that 3pm slump.

CDP said...

dguzman--you are very trusting!

dcup--I had a tuna melt. It was delicious. Peanut M&Ms...mmmm.

Sauntering Soul said...

It seems that M&M's are mentioned quite frequently around here. Now I want some....AGAIN.

Hope you get a silent and great night of sleep tonight.

Whiskeymarie said...

I was totally craving peanut m&m's during jury duty, but I didn't get them as I was afraid that I'd have a 5-foot wide radius of "peanut breath".

Diet coke? Try iced coffee- much more stimulating.

enc said...

I love giant Diet Cokes when I'm tired. Or any kind of coffee, really. I hope you have a good meet tonight.

And I hope you get a nap. The eight-hour kind.

FranIAm said...

Dude you are so tired. And that is not cool about the shootings.

This country and guns. Making me crazy.

Inarticulate Fumblings said...

Know I've been MIA and that this comment has nothing to do with your posting... but... in case you're interested, our travel blog is up and running while we're away. Peace - IF

www.ahopskipandajump.blogspot.com

Dr. Zaius said...

Perhaps the gun battle was between a giant sandwich a giant Diet Coke! Spooky.

CDP said...

SS--they are mentioned frequently, aren't they?

WM--I didn't even think of iced coffee; one of those coffee flavored slushy things would have been perfect.

enc--we had a good meet, by my yesterday definition of a good meet...in other words, short. And we won.

Fran--I know, I got your 2nd amendment, right here...

IF--awesome! I'm glad you're back one way or another, I will visit shortly.

Dr. Zaius--as long as they keep the Peanut M&Ms out of the firing line.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

As they used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Hey! Be careful out there!"

BeckEye said...

Duuuuuuude. Have you been smoking pot? No wonder you're tired!

CDP said...

Dr. Monkey--I know, I feel like I'm going to start talking like a street gang member soon, all popping a cap in someone's ass.

BeckEye--Duuude! What? Hey, I have the munchies!

Michaéle said...

Dang ya'll. Those days didn't end when the babies started sleeping through the night, did they? I have four dogs (??!?!?!?) who like to wake me at 4 AM...ya know..just to say hi and stuff.

pistols at dawn said...

I think this post is your alibi, gunslinger.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

At least the call was official business and not like say - a drunken brother-in-law or wrong number.

Hope you get some sleep tonight and regain the strenth to order a sandwich.

CDP said...

Michaele--no, and sometimes one of the kids just wakes up and randomly starts a conversation. My 7yo, when he was 4, came into our room at 3:30 once, asking if the clock he was holding was digital or analog. He brought 3 more clocks in with the same question before I woke up enough fully to tell him that the clocks said that it was the middle of the night and that he had to go back to sleep.

Pistols--you shouldna blown my cover, stool pigeon. Watch your back, son.

Lady--thank you, I'm energetic enough today to actually make my own sandwich. I'm not going to, but I could.

The Guv'ner said...

Silver Spring sounds so lovely too. Like rolling hills, natural brooks bubbling with clean, beautiful, healthy water, perfect 1950s dressed Americans lolling around on the well manicured lawns, drinking homemade lemonade and saying words like "Golly".

I am so disappointed.

CDP said...

Guv--you'd think so, wouldn't you? Silver Spring IS an awfully pretty name for a town, but it's not quite as bucolic as it sounds. Of course, it's not exactly Mean Streets, either.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.