Saturday, September 20, 2008

Billie Jean King

35 years ago today, Billie Jean King defeated Bobby Riggs in the tennis match match that was promoted as “The Battle of the Sexes”.

I was 8 years old in 1973. I loved tennis. I knew by the time I was 11 or 12 that I’d never be good; I didn’t have the speed or the coordination. It didn’t matter, though; I still loved to play. I loved hitting a ball against the brick wall down the street from my house. I loved playing on the summer team at the Rec center in our neighborhood, and in the juniors tournaments in Fairmount Park (during which I was usually eliminated in the first round). I loved my Wilson Chris Evert racket (wood!) that I’d gotten as a Christmas present. And I LOVED the women’s tennis tour.

I was a reasonably girly girl. Not a cheerleader or a pageant aspirant, but not what anyone would call a “tomboy” (I hate that word. When I publish my list of proscribed words, that one will be prominently featured). I liked clothes, I worried about my hair, I wanted my ears pierced (my mother didn’t allow this until I was 15). I admired stylish, beautiful Chris Evert, with her shining blond ponytail and diamond bracelets sparkling on tanned arms. I pretended I was adorable Tracy Austin, who was my age. But Billie Jean King was always my favorite. She was different from the other women on the tennis tour. She wasn’t elegant or fashionable; she wasn’t ethereal or regal, but she was beautiful and radiant, strong and fierce.

I lived in a rowhouse in a blue-collar Philadelphia neighborhood and attended a parish school with all of the other children of secretaries and sheet metal workers. I’m not sure that I or any of my friends would even have noticed tennis had it not been for Billie Jean. Like the late Arthur Ashe, she wanted to democratize tennis, take it away from the country club and to put it in the public parks. As important as this was, however, it didn’t compare to what she did for girls and women of all classes. Billie Jean King was THE pioneer of the then-radical notion that female athletes should make the same money as male athletes. How obvious does it seem today that the men’s and women’s winners at Wimbledon or the US Open should earn the same prize money? It wasn’t even remotely obvious 35 years ago. It was ridiculous. Billie Jean King fought a fearless and honorable fight for simple fairness for women athletes, and the Battle of the Sexes was a landmark event for women’s sports and for feminism. She endured relentless scrutiny, mockery (not just from Riggs, who I hated) and bravely faced an almost unwinnable situation. She couldn’t lose to Riggs; that would have proven his mean little point about the inferiority of women athletes (he’d already easily beaten Margaret Court). And she couldn’t win just a little bit, or everyone would say that the match was skewed in her favor or that she had the advantage of youth. So she crushed Riggs, winning so decisively that critics were silenced into grudging respect.

All of this would have been enough, but Billie Jean did something more. She showed girls like me that things were possible, even likely, no matter where you lived, or who your parents were, or whether or not you had the right hair or clothes. My friends and I, daughters of working class families, knew we couldn’t really aspire to Chris Evert’s cool elegance and beauty, but we could all aspire to be Billie Jean. She looked like our older sisters or cousins. We could be like her if we tried; we could be fearless, and strong, and really good at something. We could kick ass and take names and still look cute in a tennis dress. From me, and from every girl who was inspired by Billie Jean: Thank you, and happy anniversary. Keep kicking ass and taking names.

24 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Great post. It's important for kids today to know who the real heroes of things are and Billie Jean was certainly a hero.

Matty Boy said...

I loved playing tennis back in the day as well. I had a lot of respect for Billie Jean King, but as you mentioned Bobby Riggs had already dismantled Margaret Court, and I thought he would do the same to BJ.

She played a hell of a match, and she did an incredible amount of work for women's sports in general.

I have to admit, when I saw the title, I was afraid it was an obituary, which thankfully it is not.

enc said...

This was an inspiring and wonderful post. I'm glad you took the time to write it. It's better than any other piece I've seen on King.

BeckEye said...

Nice post! Three things:

1. Billie Jean King kicks ass.
2. I was always terrible at tennis, despite the fact that I lived right across the street from a tennis court in my youth.
3. You're 8 years older than me! Ha ha!

pistols at dawn said...

When it came to tennis, I always preferred Boris Becker, because the most important stat to me was "number of groupies knocked up in a broom closet."

Take that, feminism!

FranIAm said...

Well I am older than you all, except for maybe Matty who is only slightly older than me. I hope Beckeye enjoys that!!

This is a great post - and I too recall that match.

Billie Jean rocks the house- she did it then and still does it now.

Kind of like you!

CDP said...

Dr Monkey--thanks! The "kids today" would need to include BeckEye.

Matty--I thought of that after I hit publish, but then I couldn't think of a better title, so I left it

enc--thank you! That's so nice of you.

BeckEye--why, you...but it's better than the alternative, as my mother always says.

Pistols--we feminists need men like you, just so we have something to get all outraged about. Speaking of ass-kicking, Billie Jean could lose a leg and still kick Boris Becker's.

Fran--thank you! Takes an ass-kicker to know one.

DCup said...

I remember that. It was a BIG deal and my friends and I would have taken it personally if she'd lost.

Oh how I loved banging the tennis ball on the cinder block wall of the bowling alley. Wooden racket, of course.

Great post, CDP!

CDP said...

dcup--that was my favorite way to play tennis! Thanks!

Matt said...

I agree that there is something about tennis. Hard to explain. While I was never going to go anywhere in tennis either I always played as a youth and I still play today. Great sport.

I am just young enough to have missed this match. From what I have seen and read it was a lot less about the fact that she won but more about the fact that she was in the game. I think this is lost when you just watch the match on TV. You miss the significance of the match on society.

Like the Miracle on Ice, the game isn't much of a story without the historical perspective.

Peace.

Matt
www.idealcrap.com

themom said...

OK it appears we all banged our ball againsta brick wall somewhere, and what a wonderful time it was. I played league tennis for many years (when I was young) and enjoyed every minute. BJK was a blast to watch when she played Riggs - great post.

Anonymous said...

三重房屋 , 三重賣屋 , 三重賣屋 , , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿

Anonymous said...

民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 徵信社 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 徵信社 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 尋人 , 離婚 , 尋人偵探 , 偵探 , 三重房屋 , 三重買屋 , 三重賣屋 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 ,

Anonymous said...

徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回

Anonymous said...

感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計

Anonymous said...

網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶

Anonymous said...

包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦

Anonymous said...

抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚

Anonymous said...

離婚證人, 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴

Anonymous said...

抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回

Anonymous said...

婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌

Anonymous said...

婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌

Anonymous said...

出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查

Anonymous said...

工商調查 , 工商調查 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 偵探

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.