Thursday, November 27, 2008

Only once a year

My turkey is roasting and my stuffing and carrots just went into the oven, so I have a short break before I need to start beating potatoes and cooking broccoli. I was going to live-blog today like I did last year, but it would have gone like this
11 AM--baste
11:30--yell at everyone to get out of the kitchen
12:00--baste
12:30--seriously, all of you, get the hell out of here!

So there's a condensed Thanksgiving live blog.

7yo and I just had one of our occasional discussions of his occasional threats to become a vegetarian. I think I blogged about this once before; 7yo is the pickiest of eaters. And he hates turkey, unlike his brother, who LOVES turkey. So he wandered into the kitchen this morning and asked "What's in the oven?"
"Turkey", I said
"TURKEY? We had turkey LAST Thanksgiving!!"
Traditional nature of the meal aside, that's just how much he hates turkey; once a year is far too often. So once again, he stomped out of the kitchen muttering about becoming a vegetarian. And once again, I had to remind him that vegetarianism involves more than occasional consumption of vegetables AND lifetime renunciation of meatballs. It's a dilemma for him (and the turkey thing will be too, one day, when he learns that I make meatballs out of ground turkey.) I love turkey, and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and carrots, and broccoli with hollandaise, and Pillsbury rolls from a can, and dinner's in an hour so I need to get back to the stove. Happy Thanksgiving!

19 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Best Thanksgiving post ever.

Mathman6293 said...

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for you have done to help us through this year.

themom said...

Hope your Thanksgiving day was a good one (sounds like it from your post). Kids make it all the more enjoyable...or at least memorable!

Matty Boy said...

If meatballs were allowed, I might become a vegetarian.

And hot links. Gotta have Louisiana hot links.

Okay, I'll admit it. The 7 yo is closer to being vegetarian than I am.

FranIAm said...

Hahahah! Turkey- AGAIN?

I hope you had a great day.

BeckEye said...

I think the turkeys of the world just named your 7yo their King.

Hope you had a good one.

Whiskeymarie said...

You can totally come to my house and make me broccoli with hollandaise anytime.
I hate making hollandaise, but oh how I love eating it...

CDP said...

Dr. Monkey--thank you, my simian friend

Mathman--you too, and I'm sorry you guys had the bug for the holiday! Drag.

themom--it was, hope yours was too!

Matty--yes, meatballs and tacos (also made, unbeknownst to him, from ground turkey) are the only meats he eats without complaint

Fran--we did, hope you did too!

BeckEye--ha! Yes, now he's going to Alaska to demand that Sarah Palin pardon ALL of the turkeys.

WM--I know, I can eat it on anything, but ESPECIALLY broccoli.

Distributorcap said...

tell the 7 year old we had lasagna and turkey - separately

and you and yours are invited anytime

happy holiday

DCup said...

Jeez! You're soooo unimaginative when it comes to menu planning. That there might just border on child abuse, you know.

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

WendyB said...

I've known some lazy vegetarians who seem to think their diet only requires plain pizza and Cap'n Crunch.

MichaƩle said...

My daughters, 15 and 13, are vegetarians and have been for two years. (sigh) My unconditional support for their decisions has now faded to a pasted-on smile. I pay $5.00 for three vegetarian corn dogs. And smile.

enc said...

Your son is a huge source of entertainment for me. I sound selfish, but there it is.

Suze said...

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving. If you have any pie leftover, please forward to me ASAP.

CDP said...

Dcap--we should have come to your place...both of my kids are extremely fond of what the four year old refers to as "basagna"

Dcup--why would this surprise you; you're aware of the gulag-like environment in which my children live.

WendyB--another example of my cruelty to my children is my steadfast refusal to purchase Cap'n Crunch.

Michaele--I'm afraid that he might be serious; he talks about it all the time now, and even the meatballs don't faze him much anymore.

enc--I find him extremely entertaining too!

Suze--it's on its way.

pistols at dawn said...

I can't support anything with the word "Holland" in it.

CDP said...

Pistols--if you're going to break it down (and I always encourage that), why not just focus on the "Ho"?

3carnations said...

We had rolls from a can, too. :)

My son could take or leave turkey. At first he fussed at the realization that turkey that we eat is the same as turkey that walks around, but he eventually embraced that fact, and before taking a bite, his turkey said "I want to go in your tummy!"

dguzman said...

I second Monkey's comment.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.