Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Christmas Time is Here

It's been a busy busy busy day. We just returned from delivering cookies around the neighborhood. This morning, I made turkey sausage and cranberry orange muffins for breakfast tomorrow; now, there's a chicken in the oven. The muffins were from a mix. I was going to make them from scratch, but, well, I didn't. Our neighbor across the street dropped off some cranberry orange muffins this weekend, and I'd planned to eat the last one yesterday, but I was too late. 4yo overheard me mutter "rats, he got the last muffin" and he scolded his older brother, who vehemently denied having eaten the last muffin. I know that that boy would sooner eat a broccoli cabbage layer cake with Vegomite frosting than a cranberry orange muffin, so I hadn't suspected him. Just to make sure that he was no longer a person of interest, however, he drew a cartoon; a grimacing stick figure boy confronted with a muffin, with the caption "NO THANKS!" Anyway, I really wanted more cranberry orange muffins, and I thought it would be rude to call my neighbor and order "a half-dozen more, to go, please", so I bought mix on my third-to-last ABSOLUTELY LAST trip to the grocery store. (The second to last took place later last night, when I realized that I was out of crushed pineapple. The absolute absolutely last took place this morning; I'd run out of elbow macaroni, the crucial ingredient for macaroni and cheese.) Did you know that if you cover muffins when they're still hot from the oven, they won't get that nice hard slightly crunchy top? Did you further know that if you then uncover them and leave them uncovered for ten minutes or so, the crunchy tops are restored? File that under the only household tip you'll ever get from me.

(4yo just interrupted this post to ask what we're having for dinner. I tell him we're having roast chicken, rice, and edamame. He thinks for a minute, then asks if we can have chips and dip instead.)

The rest of today's to-do list includes wrapping (not rapping, sadly. Because I can break it down if I need to), a visit to our neighbors' house, watching "It's a Wonderful Life", watching at least one showing of "A Christmas Story" (Sons of Bitches! Bumpasses! I crack up every time I see Darren McGavin spluttering with rage at those dogs), and going to sleep no later than two A.M. There's super-strong coffee ready to go, just in case that last one doesn't work out. Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Can I have some mac and cheese when you get it done? Happy Christmas to you and yours my friend.

enc said...

I want to hear your fresh Xmas RAP.

DCup said...

The good news: I am watching A Christmas Story right this second.

The bad news: I am not eating an orange cranberry muffin.

I wish you a wonderful holiday! May the boys have a loud, paper ripping Christmas morning!

Dr. Zaius said...

Merry Christmas, Aunt Dahlia!

FranIAm said...

Merry Happy and Bright!

The last muffin - and who knew about the crunchy top restoration? Well I know now.

Ah - no viewing of A Christmas Story. Yet. But It's A Wonderful Life was seen.

I threw caution to the wind with last minute shopping trips, meaning I made none and some ingredients that will be used today are sketchy at best.

Which may mean eating chips and dips - I'll call you if that is the case and y'all can come on over.

Love and joy to you!!!

Utah Savage said...

I stayed up and watched Great Expectations late last night.

pistols at dawn said...

Baking muffins? Like I even know what ingredients go into such magic, or have any of those ingredients.

CDP said...

I hope you all had a beautiful Christmas, my friends!

dguzman said...

I love it when I am away from the blogs for a few days and I come back to find THREE high-larious posts from you! It's like a gift, only funnier!

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.