Friday, January 16, 2009

The Week in Review

I just realized that I haven't posted anything since Tuesday. Not that this is such a terribly long time, it's just that I thought I'd posted yesterday or the day before. Not working does strange things to my sense of the passage of time. On the one hand, days of the week blend together and are hard to distinguish from one another. On the other, I feel like I'm quite busy and pressed for time, even though I don't have a job and I'm not in school right now. I'm getting too accustomed to this.

What exactly did I do this week? Swim lessons for the four year old, a PTA meeting, coffee with my neighbors, resume writing, resume class, cranky blogging about resume class. What else? Reading, exercising, homework (assisting 7yo), watching cartoons with kids, playing with Legos with kids, cleaning out my kitchen cabinets, baking muffins, cooking. And what else? I went to the movies today ("Frost/Nixon"--I liked it) and continued my halfhearted job search. Hmm, what else? Blogging, commenting on blogs, watching MSNBC, hissing at George W. Bush, scanning craigslist for a dresser, making lists and crossing items off those lists, Tweeting (confession--I just figured out how to text. No, I'm not an idiot, I just never wanted to text before, so I didn't bother. I just decided, ten years after everyone else, that I wanted to know how to text, so I figured it out. Bow before my technological awesomeness.), grocery shopping, and moving some pictures around on my walls. I like where they are now. Much better.

Here's another thing. I've been untying strings. All over the house, on chairs, lamps, table legs, bed posts...strings, sometimes attaching things to the furniture to which they are tied, and sometimes just a string. The strings are the work of the 4yo. Nearly every day, I discover a Transformer tied to a chair, or a Star Wars figure tied to a doorknob, or two pieces of furniture tied together. Everyone has a thing, and this is his thing right now.

String-tying is an occasional discussion topic in our house, although in a somewhat different context. My husband and I have an expression: "Koreans Tying Strings to Shit". My mother-in-law, like most Koreans of her generation, will fix or refurbish items until they are of absolutely no possible use anymore. She does not throw things away. Pursuant to this policy is a large ball of string (along with duct tape, needle and thread, thumbtacks, etc). If something comes apart, it gets pasted, sewn, tacked or most often, tied back together. This is how I came one morning a few years ago to drive my Honda to work with the rubber stripping tied on to the bumper, with a bow, no less. The stripping had fallen loose after I was rear-ended and it was my plan to take it into the shop that week (and I took it that day rather than continue to drive with the string repair job). My mother-in-law, thrifty and practical woman, declared it a waste to pay money to have this repaired…so while I was in the house feeding the baby before leaving him with her for the day, she was in the driveway, fixing my bumper. “See?” she said proudly, “fine now…you save money!” “Koreans Tying Strings to Shit” is just our little private idiomatic equivalent to “held together with spit and glue”. We use that expression whenever we see one of those “oh no, that doesn’t look like such a good idea” DIY jobs--like a storage shed we once saw which was built from plywood, old laminate paneling and lattice--that was some Koreans Tying Strings to Shit. So my son might be tying strings because he's a four-year-old boy. OR he might be paying tribute to his culture, by Tying Strings to Shit. In either case, he's thorough and prolific, for which I admire him.

This was quite a productive week in my estimation. I'm not sure I have time for a job. I'm busy.

15 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

That tying stuff up may serve him well later in life. I'm just saying.

pistols at dawn said...

I don't even think I've ever owned string, and I'm not sure where it could be purchased, my childhood dreams of kite flying be damned.

Lisa said...

Makes you wonder how you did it all before, doesn't it? The string tying is hilarious!

enc said...

It'll be interesting to see how far 4yo takes this TStoS thing.

12 Tied String to Sh!t the other day, as part of her school DNA model project. Does that count?

Vegetable Assassin said...

I'm constantly amazed at the stuff I learn on your blog, missy.

Your word veri thing says STOATIS which sounds like a painful disease.

FranIAm said...

The Ukrainians have a similar string/tape/tack approach it would appear. At least based upon my husband, his sister and (may they rest in peace) his dear departed parental units.

CDP said...

Dr. Monkey--why, you...

Pistols--now I'm sorry that I mocked that plywood and paneling shed...that's your house, isn't it?

Lisa--I know, I remember the same feeling when I was on maternity leave...how am I supposed to do all of this and WORK too?

enc--that totally counts. That's why the term is so general; anything that one ties strings to counts.

VA--I'm here to provide a public service, as you know.

Fran--UTSTS! You and HeIs are welcome to use this, as I've not copyrighted it. Yet.

themom said...

OMG...that is hilarious. tying strings to shit!!! Belss his little heart. Carrying on a "family tradition."

Matty Boy said...

I like private sayings with mild obscenity. Years ago, my friends and I started calling special effects action thrillers "big shit blowing up movies", which has since been shortened to BSBU flick.

Handy!

I am merely underemployed instead of unemployed, but like you, the days are just packed.

Freida of the Bees said...

I tagged you yesterday. Feel free to take it or leave it, and I shall be back shortly for the other.

I love your blog (your writing).

CDP said...

themom--yes, he's honoring his heritage; how can you not respect that?

Matty--that's excellent! I'm hoping to be underemployed myself, soon.

Frieda--thank you! That's way high praise coming from you. I now owe this meme to you, Stephanie, and themom, so I'll get right to it. Right to it being tomorrow, that is.

3carnations said...

My four year old started his first ever swimming lessons this weekend. It started out near traumatic (he took one look at that pool and decided it wasn't such a good idea), and it ended with him saying it was the best time in water ever!

alisha said...

Hey thanks for the informative post, Swimming classes should be something that a person takes up when young. Well I guess an adult can also take up swimming lessons. Never too young to try!

dguzman said...

Fascinating. I actually have this weird love of twine; I even love that word "twine." I have about six balls of twine in my house. I would say, "you just never know when you're gonna need it," but you and your 4yo have given me LOTS of ideas for using it. Yay!

小貓咪 said...

情趣用品,情趣,自拍,本土自拍,kk俱樂部,後宮電影院,後宮電影,85cc免費影城,85cc免費影片,免費影片,免費小遊戲,免費遊戲,小遊戲,遊戲,好玩遊戲,好玩遊戲區,遊戲區,史萊姆好玩遊戲,遊戲基地,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,遊戲口袋,我的遊戲口袋,小遊戲區,手機遊戲,貼圖,A片,A片,A片,A片,a片,聊天室,聊天室,聊天室,聊天室,聊天室,聊天室,色情,成人影片,色情影片,免費A片,A片下載,成人影城,愛情公寓,情色貼圖,情色,色情網站,色情遊戲,色情小說,情色文學,色情,aio交友愛情館,色情影片,臺灣情色網,寄情築園小遊戲,情色論壇,嘟嘟情人色網,情色視訊,愛情小說,言情小說,一葉情貼圖片區,情趣用品,情趣,色情漫畫,情色網,情色a片,情色遊戲,85cc成人片,嘟嘟成人網,成人網站,18成人,成人影片,成人交友網,成人貼圖,成人圖片區,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人光碟,微風成人區,免費成人影片

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.