Monday, February 16, 2009

Little Sound, Not Much Fury, but Still Signifying Nothing

I had no time to post today. We had new windows put in our house, and that is an incredibly loud and disruptive operation. Thankfully, it's almost done. Now we just have to put this place back together. School was closed for the holiday, so my neighbor and I took our kids to see "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" to get them out of the house. I'm easily amused, because I laughed my head off at that movie. Of course, being surrounded by kids who are gasping for breath because they're laughing so hard will make a person laugh at almost anything. But still, I'd have laughed anyway.

In class, we've moved from Marxist to Feminist criticism. Basically, every modern school of critical thought involves sticking it to the man in one way or another. With every class I take, I have about two weeks of panic in which I wonder why I'm doing this, is it too late to drop the class, seriously WHY am I doing this, I'll never manage this workload, blah blah blah, and then the clouds lift and I suddenly feel like it's all manageable. I'm still waiting for that moment. Yes, I know I don't have a job anymore, but it's still hard every time. I get discouraged when I think of how many more classes I have in front of me, so I have to think of what I've accomplished since September 2007. This is my eighth class, and I have a perfect GPA. I'm going to persevere.

Speaking of perseverance, I have finally worn down the Whirlpool Corporation. After several days of phone conversations followed by lengthy emails, I was informed on Friday that they're going to do the repairs at their expense, including parts and labor, as a "goodwill gesture". Ha ha ha ha ha! You call it whatever you want to call it, Whirl-fools...I win, suckas!

That was a totally prosaic post, but this was a rather prosaic weekend. My mind is working in a very linear and literal fashion right now, so you're getting straight reportage. I might have something more interesting cooking soon...stay tuned.

12 comments:

enc said...

Well I LOVED it.

I LOVE that you stuck it to the WhirlFool Man.

I don't think he's lonely now, not now that your dryer went on strike.

Suze said...

You'll be cooking something? Does it involve chocolate or even bacon? I'll be ready at a moment's notice!!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

High five on stickin' it to the corporate man!

pidomon said...

A perfect GPA AND you stuck it to the WhirlFool Man?

Sounds like a sweet day!

Lisa said...

I was wondering about the letter writing campaign! I'm so glad it's had a favorable outcome! And you didn't have to smoke a single cigarette? Impressive!

BeckEye said...

WhirlFools. Did you pick that up from Paul Blart?

Sauntering Soul said...

You're my hero. And seriously, can I hire you to start dealing with the City of Atlanta over my water bill? They are now being discussed on the local news because so many people are fed up with their billing errors. So you might become a local celebrity if you were successful. I know....being a local Atlanta celebrity isn't much of a prize.

MichaƩle said...

You go, sista. Good for you! When we got our money back from the Chrysler dealer, in the "memo" section of the check, they wrote "good faith gesture." I wanted so bad to cross it out and write "I-so-kicked-your-ass gesture!"

CDP said...

enc--thanks! That was the highlight of my week last week. Awesome, right?

Suze--that was "cooking" in the figurative sense. Although I am making chicken cacciatore and spaghetti tonight. How soon can you get here?

Dr. M--I know, it's the best!


Pidomon--sticking it to the corporate man is one of my favorite things to do.

Lisa--no, but I didn't say that I didn't drink, now did I?


BeckEye--no, but "Peanut Blart and Jelly" is now my sons' favorite saying.


SS--I might go into business doing this...but I'll take on your case for free!

Michaele--Ha! I was SO tempted to keep pushing them to admit that this is not a "goodwill gesture" but rather an admission of defeat, but I decided to quit while I was ahead.

susan said...

Well, I'm glad to know you won't have to be tramping down to the laundromat with the towels and I guess you didn't have to resort to the AG's office either. Good news.

We finally watched Wall-E on the weekend and we don't even have kids for an excuse. It was wonderful.. and very subversive.

dguzman said...

VICTORY AT LAST! Suck it, Whirlfools! In an odd twist, my verif word is bornwort. Sounds like the herb you gave to the Whirlfools to put them under your spell. You rule.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

Although you won't find me waiting in line to see it, just the title "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" sets me giggling if I think about it too long.

I saw The Love Guru (this years Razzie winner) last summer with my friends (the theater was totally empty, except for us) and laughed like an hysterical hyena thru the whole thing, if that makes you feel any better.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.