Friday, February 6, 2009

Monster Mash

I'm still considering a career change. But I've officially ruled out any possibility of a career as a literary scholar. I like to read it, not write about it. I'm reading "Frankenstein" now, and we'll have to write an essay from one of a number of critical perspectives. There have been an absolutely astonishing number of words written about this book. I'm not sure how any of us will manage to think or say or write anything about "Frankenstein" that hasn't been thought, said, or written before. The upside, though, is that "Frankenstein" is very good. I've read the first six chapters, and I'm all agog. The downside is that having just read a pile of critical essays for an annotating assignment, I now know EXACTLY what happens next and how it ends. So thanks a lot, scholars. Don't academic journals have spoiler alerts? Sheesh. I know that it's ridiculous that I've lived 43 years without knowing anything about "Frankenstein" other than what I learned from Mr. Brooks, but there it is. Tabula rasa, baby. That's why I'm in school.

In other news, I'm afraid that I might turn into my 85 year old grandmother, assuming that this hasn't already happened. I was writing a post about it earlier, but Blogger stifled me. I'm not sure why, but I won't be silenced. I copied and pasted it into Word, and I'll finish it and post it later. Now you, too, can be all agog.

10 comments:

SaoirseDaily2 said...

When you mentioned Frakenstein, my mind floated back to an old teacher who's name was, for real, Frank N Stein. He was an ass. He put gum in my hair and I thought my mother was going to kill him. Good luck on your essay.

Have a great weekend.

Lisa said...

I'm glad you're liking the book! I can't imagine the pain it would be if you hated it!

I'm pretty sure you're not your 85 y.o. grandmother yet, but it should be fun to watch you make the case.

Embee said...

Oddly I've managed to go 42 (43 at the end of this month) years without ever reading Frankenstein. And I'm currently an English major - still haven't been assigned that book. I'm currently reading "Pretty shield" which is a Native American novel, and I'm pretty sure there are a lot fewer critical reviews of my book than yours, so, unfortunately, no one is going to tell me how it ends without me reading it. I'm not agog at it, more like mildly amused. I respect the subject matter, I'm just all literatured-out after 3+ years of literature. I'm only on chapter 3 and I have to write a review of chapters 1-9 very shortly. So I suppose I'd better knuckle down and read it. I hope you have more fun with Frankenstein!

CDP said...

Saoirse--seriously? A teacher put gum in your HAIR? Oh my gosh, he really was an ass. As for names, when my husband got out of the police academy and did his field training, his training officer was named John Christ...his name pin read "J. Christ".

Lisa--I know, that's the saving grace, because reading the criticism is miserable, so it would be that much worse if I also hated the subject matter. And I will demonstrate conclusively that I AM now an ill-tempered 85 year old lady. Damn it.

Embee--I know what you mean by "literatured out". I wish I'd chosen history or poli sci as my major, but there's no way I'm going to change it now.

Distributorcap said...

it is fronk-en-schteeen

(do you hear some horses neighing in the background)

CDP said...

Dcap--ha ha ha ha ha!

BeckEye said...

Frankenstein's just no good without someone grunting "FIRE...BAD!" every 20 seconds.

Sauntering Soul said...

I've managed to go 40 years without reading Frankenstein. But I've also never seen a James Bond movie so it's probably not that surprising.

CDP said...

BeckEye--I know, and in the book, the monster's actually quite an articulate guy.

SS--I saw one a few years ago, one with Pierce Brosnan. It was aight, dawg.

enc said...

I won't be agog, I'll just wave you across the finish line, which I crossed years ago; I love straight-ahead jazz, art deco, and xword puzzles. Just like my dad/grandma.

Welcome to Old Skool.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.