Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Not at all sure my Professor will accept inscribed stone tablets

I have a deadline looming, which is why I'm sitting here blogging. I like to think that I work best under pressure, although I have no evidence that this is true. This paper is a 500 word essay, not research-driven, so I shouldn't have a hard time, although sometimes shorter papers are more difficult, especially for me. It's always hard for me to keep the word count to a minimum.

My computer, which I bought in 2003, is showing signs of its advanced age. It's slow. "Plate Tectonics" might be an accurate metaphor for my computer's speed right now. Under normal circumstances, I would never even consider drafting a paper in longhand, because my handwriting is just awful, despite my Catholic school Palmer Method training, and because I just don't think the same way in longhand as I do with a keyboard in front of me. But I was sitting on the couch studying last night, with a sleeping four-year-old's head on my lap (he's a little under the weather), and thought that I'd try to get some ideas on paper while I had time and a notebook in front of me. I got a reasonable facsimile of an opening paragraph down, and my two second paragraphs seemed very good to me for a few minutes. "Hmm", I thought. "Maybe this IS the way I should be writing. Who knew? I should stock up on steno pads RIGHT NOW, because this is AWESOME." But for one detail, that detail being that the actual assignment was on my syllabus, which I have saved electronically on my flash drive. When I looked at it again this morning, I realized that my two beautiful paragraphs had absolutely nothing to do with the actual assignment. So back to plan B, which is really plan A, since I really never write in longhand.

I'm beginning to consider thinking about doing some preliminary research into the possibility of just maybe buying a new computer. I'm just that decisive. We're OK financially, but I'm not working, and my daily MSNBC intake has created a Depression mentality that makes it hard for me to consider any non-grocery related purchases. I can get a decent laptop for about $600 (and that's less than half, by the way, of what I paid for the laptop I bought in 2003), but I might need that $600 for inventory when I need to open an apple stand on Georgia Avenue, right? Are any of you feeling the same way? I never used to think twice about spending money when I needed something, so this is a sea change. I think I need a few days away from the intravenous infusion of political news and commentary. I also need a new computer. California might break free and become a free-floating continent in the time it's taking for my computer to catch up with my typing (and I'm not all that fast), and they have enough problems.

13 comments:

Matty Boy said...

Spend! Stimulate that economy! I've been buying stuff I need even though things are tight. If I can be this short-sighted, so can you!

Word verification: corating

Please use in a sentence.

3carnations said...

Heh. I aggravated hubby by starting a campaign to get Wii and Wii Fit into our house...But I rarely spend money (I haven't had a haircut in months - Trimmed my bangs this morning). When I stopped talking about it, he somehow then got fed up and said "Just buy it." No thank you sir. I'll wait until you're less angst-y about it.

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm considering a trip to Brazil next month. Trust me, it's going to cost me a whole lot more than a $600 laptop would (which I also kind of need) and I'll only have photos and my memories to show for it and not an actual machine.

What I'm saying is, I would have no business trying to talk you out of buying a new computer.

CDP said...

Matty--I'm sure I'll eventually buy the computer. I have no idea how to incorporate the word "corating" into a sentence. There, I did it!

3carn--I think the Wii Fit looks very cool. If you give in and buy it, be sure to post about it.

SS--No, I want you to talk me into it.

BeckEye said...

I bought a purse yesterday, which I've desperately needed since the strap on my old purse broke...a YEAR ago. I've been carrying around this ratty thing that I got from Shiseido as a purse because it can sort of pass for a purse, but it's not really a purse. I know it seems crazy that a woman wouldn't have like 5,000 purses in her closet, but I'm not one of those women. I don't usually look at purses as accessories (unless I'm getting all fancied up), I just see them as necessary items. Necessary item - singular. I need just one good one that I can use every day. Wow, this is a long story. Anyway, I bought this purse and it was $85. It was the only one that I could find (in Macy's) that I liked and was under $100. So, I bought it. I figured why not. I never splurge like that on something like a purse. Almost immediately I had buyer's remorse. I have it with me today and when I look at it, I think "that's an awesome purse," immediately followed by, "It better be nice for 85 fucking dollars you damn moron."

BeckEye said...

Oh, and maybe people don't think that $85 is a lot for a purse, but I usually buy purses at Payless Shoes or Target or some cheap ass place.

Sauntering Soul said...

Beckeye, I totally understand. The purse I'm carrying was $19.95 and is from TJMaxx. The shoes I'm wearing today ran me a whopping $11, they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.

Lisa said...

I think it is time to step away from the news for a bit. First of all, it's just annoying. Second, it's repetitive. Third, it's make you - YOU, one of the most level-headed people I know - question yourself.

I promise you, it's not that bad once you rip off the Band Aid.

Besides, if you don't get a new computer, how can I expect you to succumb to my pestering you to get on Facebook?

Go on.......

Cid said...

I am not a purse person but I would love a laptop. I am finding it harder and harder to get on our family computer in the kitchen with the boys on Runescape and You Tube all the time. I would love to disappear up into my bedroom to cozy up with a laptop. But I am not spending any money either.

enc said...

I feel guilty considering buying shampoo that costs more than $1.49. I need to add to my gym clothes inventory, but I feel uncomfortable buying anything new. I could really use a new computer, too. Mine is from 2004, and is now moving at brontosaurus speed, whereas it used to be as fast as a gazelle.

I blame the Media.

susan said...

I know what you mean about the old computer being slow so we bought a new mac book a few months ago. Happily, we now have 2 computers so there's no waiting but ,even better, now I have the 2004 g4 power book all to myself. The screen is big, non-shiny and the graphic color conversion still suits me best. It's slow but so am I.

As far as spending is concerned, so long as you're not going into major debt, I'd say get what you want now. You never know when the shipments will stop :-) The news will drive you crazy before your on-line friends will.

CDP said...

BeckEye--I used to be CRAZY about purses...I'm one of those rare women who don't really care about shoes, but handbags were a weakness. Not anymore, though. The good thing is that I still have quite a few from the old days, and I use them all the time! $85 is entirely reasonable.

Lisa--even my husband is trying to get me to join Facebook (he who mocks my blogging...) I'm afraid it would just turn into one more thing that I'd feel like I HAVE to do!

Cid--my computer's in the kitchen, too, and my 7 year old boy is always commandeering it to play games on Lego.com.

enc--that would be the "elite" media, correct?

Susan--I never thought of that...no, no debt issues, I'm just afraid to part with the cash that's sewn into my proverbial mattress right now.

themom said...

If you want to keep up with the rest of the gang here - I say get the new laptop. Yes, it stimulates the economy - and think of the bliss in the speed.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.