Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Time is Fleeting

See, I walk away from this thing for just one day, and I come back to at least 30 new posts in my reader. Don't any of you have jobs? Speaking of which (since I don't have one either), I'm at outplacement right now, waiting for a seminar to begin. I don't think that this is what they want us to use their lightning-fast computers for, but I'm not going to sit and waste twelve perfectly good minutes.

Strangely, I've been very busy during the past few days. Either that, or my idleness has become so completely entrenched that more than one activity per day constitutes extreme busy-ness. I remember my first maternity leave...every night, I'd sit on the couch exhausted, and wonder just how I'd be able to manage all of this PLUS my job. Time's very elastic, though. I can always fit things in. I can expand to fit my container. The more I have to do, the more I can do. And apparently, the reverse is true, too, since two appointments today (one at 9:45 and one in eight minutes) made me feel unjustly overscheduled. Like, just how much can a person be expected to DO in a day?

So now I'm down to six minutes. I'm going to try to run this thing down to a minute and a half, maybe two minutes--just enough to get some water and get a seat, and take my coat off, and get my notebook and pen and look utterly rapt and engaged. I'm only snarky and subversive on the inside. My exterior is that of the ideal training class student. My eyes are wide open, my posture is upright, my jaw doesn't slacken for even a moment. Four more minutes. Just got a text, which reminded me to turn the phone off. Three minutes now. Just enough time to think of a title for this utter bilge, and to remove myself to the hall of learning. Until later...

8 comments:

Sauntering Soul said...

I can't wait to hear about some super annoying person in this seminar. Please tell us all about it. I, for one, love it when you get all snarky.

Lisa said...

I have a job. Are you implying that I shouldn't be blogging?

You do crack me up.

Speaking of feeling unjustly overscheduled, or in my case, put upon, the idea of being expected to work without large chunks of time set aside for electronic "reaching out" is enough to make me take to my fainting couch. Well, if I had a fainting couch.

CDP said...

SS--there was NO ONE today, and it was a very full class! It's really the only reason I went, so I'm rather diappointed!

Lisa--Look for a package; it will contain smelling salts.

Debbie said...

Nope. No job. But, any day now this blogging thing will help me strike it rich:)

Suze said...

Don't bother to read me. Nothing there worth reading. That'll save you a couple seconds anyway!

CDP said...

Debbie--yes, that's my secret plan!

Suze--completely not true, you are always a source of enlightenment.

enc said...

I love your bilge.

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.