Saturday, March 14, 2009

McCartney's Madeleine

Not long ago, I was in my car, zapping through every radio station on the FM dial, just looking for one single song that didn't suck. I landed on a commercial, so I decided to wait and see what would happen. Maybe they'd play the elusive Song that Doesn't Suck. It happens, right? Not that often, but it happens. The song was Paul McCartney and Wings' "Band on the Run". This isn't a favorite song for me. It isn't even top 20. But I hadn't heard it in at least ten years, and it caused a memory rush, including a detail that I had forgotten completely.

In 1973, my grandmother took us to Ocean City, New Jersey for a week in July. It was the first time I'd ever spent more than a day at the beach, and it was the best week ever. We stayed in an apartment about a block from the beach, on the second floor of a three-story building. I don't remember much about the apartment, except for the shared outside shower where we all washed the sand off every afternoon. What I do remember is my favorite childhood bathing suit, possibly my favorite EVER bathing suit. It was a one piece tank suit, made of stretchy orange crushed velvet, with a satin applique of an orange. My sister had the same suit, except hers was purple and her applique was a bunch of grapes. I remember filling buckets with water and finding the water filled with tiny minnows. I remember butterscotch ice cream, which is very hard to find...go ahead and try to order butterscotch, and you'll be offered butter rum, butter brickle, butter pecan, but no butterscotch. I remember the Fore and Aft Restaurant. My aunt, who was 10 and precocious, had a crush on one of the waiters. But what I had forgotten until I heard the song was The Glass Menagerie.

The Glass Menagerie was not a Tennessee Williams play. It was a little box of colored glass pieces (that was the Glass), stick-on googly eyes, and felt. You glued the pieces together to create animals (thus the Menagerie). My grandmother bought them for us on the one rainy day, and we spent the day at the kitchen table making tiny glass cats and bunnies. We treasured those little creations for a while, and then we forgot them. I remembered them only 36 years later, listening to the radio in my car.

The little glass animals weren't the thing. The memory was about more than the toy. It was about a time when I didn't know what I didn't know. I didn't know enough to worry. My mother wasn't depressed then (or maybe she was, and I just didn't know). It wasn't long after that that I began to understand that things weren't right. But that's a story for later, and my mother is fine now.

Not long after "Band on the Run", my children were watching their beloved Spaceballs (which I know is not appropriate for a 7 and 4 year old. Talk to their father. I disclaim all responsibility for my children's love of "Spaceballs"). As you probably know, "Spaceballs" is a very broad spoof of "Star Wars", with some other space-themed movies thrown in. There's a very funny scene in a restaurant, where the diners at the counter watch in horror as an Alien-like creature bursts out of the abdomen of a screaming man. The creature looks around at the terrified witnesses...then it pulls out a hat and cane, and starts to dance and sing:
"Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal! Send me a kiss by wire, baby, my heart's on fire! If you refuse me, honey, you'll lose me, then you'll be left alone. Oh baby telephone, and tell me I'm your own!"

My four year old thinks this is the funniest thing that's ever been recorded on film. When my seven year old saw it for the first time, he said "hey! Mom, you used to sing me that song! Right? Right?"

Right! I did used to sing that song, but I hadn't sung it since he was three or so...when 4yo was born, I started to sing "Disco Inferno" (another story for later. I made up new lyrics) and they both loved that song, so "Hello My Baby" was forgotten, just like a glass bunny.

Some things run in families. I'm luckier than my mother was. There are lots of medications that make the fight with the black dog a pretty fair one. Sometimes I feel wrong about taking them. I should be stronger, right? I should just try to push my way through it. But I don't want "Hello My Baby" to remind my son of the last time that his mother was well, and that things were OK.

21 comments:

Dr. Zaius said...

Oh, butterscotch.

There was a great Warner's Brother cartoon with a frog that sang the "Hello my baby, hello my honey, hello my ragtime gal!" song.

A man found the frog, and thought that he could make a million dollars with it, but the frog would only sing when he was alone with the man, the frog would never sing in front of anyone else.

Matty Boy said...

I know folks who have used drugs for the relief of anxiety, and the vast majority swear by them. The "I should be stronger" thoughts are a good defense against becoming dependent. I wouldn't give up on them entirely if I were you.

I loved the story about making your own toys.

Steve said...

haven't thought about butterscotch ice cream in way too many years.
thanks for the memory.
and i have total faith that you will find whatever the right combination is of treatment that works for you and your family.

CDP said...

Dr Z---that's the whole reason I know that song!

Matty--that's exactly how it works for me. I stop taking medication pretty frequently, and depending on other factors, it goes either well or badly...when it goes badly, I call the doctor.

Steve--thanks! And butterscotch ice cream needs to make a comeback. I miss it.

SaoirseDaily2 said...

Funny how a song can transport us to a different time when we were a different people.

Butterscotch is my favorite flavor. I found a recipe once for butterscoth popcorn. And Annabelle's who make rocky road candy bars make a butterscotch flavored bar...oh, so good! and so bad for me!

Thanks for the kind words. Have an excellent St Pat's Day!

Slainte, Linda

Lisa said...

Interesting how the song can trigger a set of memories that take you the one that you might have been unaware of picking at. You are strong. If you take medication to stay even, that's not weak - that's smart. Why suffer depression and let it effect your family if you don't have to.

And I want to know about those lyrics to Disco Inferno. Talk about a song that triggers memories.

WendyB said...

My sister is a big fan of Spaceballs. Well, of course! She's a Druish American Princess.

Dr. Zaius, I always loved that cartoon.

dguzman said...

Dr. Zaius remembered the WB cartoon I was thinking of. I guess those of us "of a certain age" all remember that crazy-ass frog. That bastidd!

I really like these posts when you talk about your mental health. It makes me feel like I'm not alone. I've taken "the crazy pills" since 1992, and no, I can't stop without SERIOUS side effects (mostly physical) so I don't. I guess that means I'm addicted to them--but it's better than being a psychotic asshole, like I was without the crazy pills. Right?

sour said...

oh geez! i totally remember the alien singing that song and almost falling off the couch laughing. and then rewinding it a hundred times. ha!!

Anonymous said...

三重房屋 , 三重賣屋 , 三重賣屋 , , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿

Anonymous said...

民宿 , 民宿 , 民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 , 徵信社 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 徵信社 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 尋人 , 離婚 , 尋人偵探 , 偵探 , 三重房屋 , 三重買屋 , 三重賣屋 , 花蓮民宿 , 花蓮民宿 ,

Anonymous said...

徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 尋人 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回

Anonymous said...

感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 徵信社 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計公司 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計

Anonymous said...

網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , SEO , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 網頁設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 廣告設計 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶

Anonymous said...

包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 包二奶 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦

Anonymous said...

抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 大陸抓姦 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚

Anonymous said...

離婚證人, 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚證人 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 離婚協議 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 婚外情 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴

Anonymous said...

抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 抓猴 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 感情挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回

Anonymous said...

婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 婚姻挽回 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 外遇問題 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌

Anonymous said...

出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 出軌 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 監護權 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 偷腥 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查 , 工商調查

Anonymous said...

工商調查 , 工商調查 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網 , 中信房屋711房仲網抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 抓姦 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 離婚 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 外遇 , 偵探

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.