Tuesday, April 14, 2009

And you know what else? Part X+1

I am a busy woman right now. I now have two quasi-jobs, and far from finding working from home relaxing, I'm realizing that it is crazy stressful. I'm hoping that this is just a temporary thing as I adjust. Stress is exacerbated by repeated technical difficulties, which will hopefully be alleviated when my new computer arrives. Yes, I finally ordered a new computer. This one, which has served me well for nearly seven years, has finally demanded to be sent to a nice farm in the country. It's bad enough that even now, I'm not so sure that this post will ever see the proverbial light of day. My hard drive could permanently crash ANY MINUTE. So it was time.

We had a great spring vacation last week. The second grader returned to school this morning, and although he wasn't thrilled about it, he also didn't complain. He's a philosophical child. He understands that vacations are temporary. What he and I don't understand is why it is STILL no more than 50 degrees here. I'm actually craving, physically craving, warm weather. This is why I'm so cranky and complain-y today. It's also raining. What else do I have to complain about?
1. There is entirely too much chocolate in this house. No matter how hard I try to keep the Easter candy limited to moderate quantities, my mother-in-law shows up with multiple packages of chocolate eggs and bunnies. Good stuff, too; it's all Dove and Lindt and Hershey's, not bargain "how dare you call yourself chocolate" Easter candy. Ridiculous quantities of good chocolate plus stress is not a good combination.
2. School. I'll keep it brief. Poetry, blah blah, another paper due this week, blah blah blah, deconstruction, blah blah blah blah blah. And that is all I have to say about that. Except that my shit list this week is very long indeed, and M. Jacques Derrida appears right at the very top.

That is all for now. I promise that my next post will be somewhat less insufferably whiny. Bah.

12 comments:

Gifted Typist said...

Just had a thought: a Jacques Derrida chocolate action figure. You could bite the head of it and deconstruct him between your teeth.

CDP said...

GT--ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is AWESOME.

Lisa said...

I'm thinking I'm glad that I am NOT Jacques Derrida, chocolate or not.

Yay for your new computer! May it serve you as well as the old one did.

3carnations said...

We have tons of candy, too. Also, a friend returned a container yesterday - With some candy in it.

I didn't snag my favorite Brach's Chicks and Rabbits half off, so I'll be waiting until next Easter for those, and consoling myself (not really in need of consoling) with tons of other candy. :)

BeckEye said...

I understand that vacations are temporary too. But I still don't understand WHY.

Sauntering Soul said...

Your son is going to really be disappointed when he grows up and learns he won't get nearly as much vacation time as he has now.

I didn't eat any Easter candy this year. Instead I ate a piece of berry pie and left the rest of it at my mom's house. Suddenly I want a peep.

dguzman said...

Derrida deserves to be at the top of any shit list, quoth the English major.

CDP said...

Lisa--me too, I can't think like a deconstructionist and I don't want to. Blah.

3carnations--that's next...someone will start trying to unload their excess Easter candy!

BeckEye--I'm still petitioning Congress to consider the 2-day work week legislation.

SS--I know...wait til he finds out that most people actually WORK all summer long!

Dguzman--I know, and Roland Barthes can also go to hell.

Suze said...

One thing I find about "how dare you pretend you're chocolate" chocolate is that it'll do in a pinch around 2:30 a.m. when you just need something and the potato chips have already been polished off.

Joanne said...

My computer is going on 7 years too, I am not looking forward to upgrading! Hope yours works out well, enjoyed browsing here.

Steve said...

the rain here this week stunk on ice but at least we have a decent weekend weatherwise ahead of us
and I ate all my candy Saturday. Does that mean I'm a bad person? :)

CDP said...

Suze--I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Chocolate at 2 in the morning? That is crazy talk.

Joanne--I'm looking forward to having my new computer up and running...it's almost like moving house, isn't it? Thanks for commenting!

Steve--Yes. Yes, it does. I, for example, would NEVER overindulge in chocolate. Ahem.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.