Sunday, April 12, 2009

Talk Amongst Yourselves

Maybe I'll start getting tired of The Sound of Music after I've seen it 200 times. It's not likely, but it's possible. The Sound of Music is always at Easter; I'm watching it right now for the second time this week.

I think age is affecting me. I get very easily emotional over things I once scorned as ridiculously sappy. I'm never far from being just a little verklempt. (Damn that Hans. They'd have EASILY made the Swiss border if he wasn't such a Tyrolean Nazi stool pigeon.) The Sound of Music is a perfect example. The Reverend Mother, so stern and wise and benevolent, ordering Maria not to use the convent as an escape from life. "If you love this man, it doesn't mean that you love God less!"
Sniff!
And Baroness Schrader; beautiful, elegant, and heartbroken. "And somewhere, there's a young lady who I think will never be a nun." It gets me every single time.

I cried over poor Natasha Richardson. Not to suggest that her untimely death should have been mere trivia, but I never used to cry over celebrity deaths. She was just so beautiful, and happy and radiant. And poor Liam Neeson and their two sons. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days. I can't even read without puddling up. I just finished Sandra Tsing Loh's "Mother on Fire". I love Sandra Tsing Loh, except that sometimes, I have to put her books down since reading one is far too much like being inside my own brain. Still, this one had me annoyed, even a little cranky, as Sandra comes dangerously close to becoming totally unhinged over the idea of her child ending up in PUBLIC SCHOOL. I know that she's satirizing the rarefied world of upper class crazy people who pay $25,000 a year for private kindergarten, but then she herself seemed to utterly accept the premise that the only way to save your children from a life of mediocrity or worse is to consign them to ridiculous educational spas where they'll never face a moment of unpleasantness. But then, she tours a public school and has an epiphany. Watching the special education kids at the school next door, mostly ethnic, mostly poor, she writes "In a universe darker than ours, no one would give two figs for these kids. These children would be the discards", but..."people love these children...the human race...it is a miracle...there is grace all around me." I was nearly bawling at this, even though it's so simple and so obvious. It is a miracle, isn't it? The world will never stop trying to convince us that only the talented, the beautiful, and the brilliant really matter, but if we're lucky, we'll never stop finding the beauty and the brilliance in the most ordinary and uncelebrated people, the ones who surround us every day. "All around me", Sandra Tsing Loh writes in her happy fog, "the city is vibrating, shot through with light". It is. It isn't always, but for someone at some moment, it is.

The nuns just sabotaged the Nazis' cars, and the von Trapps will once again escape to Switzerland. Grace all around. Happy Easter!

11 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

You old softy you.

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who tears up at things others might find ridiculous.

Lisa said...

Sniff. Sniff. Dang it, CDP. Did you have to?

The Vegetable Assassin said...

The Sound of Music was one of the first movies I ever saw because it was one of my mom's favourites. We had the soundtrack album and she'd play that all the time too so I grew up singing those songs. I still love the movie. Screw anyone who laughs at me. :)

CDP said...

Dr. M--don't tell anyone. My image as a hardassed dame must be preserved at all costs.

SS--Me too!

VA--Exactly!

Lisa--Yes I did!

Distributorcap said...

you know the nun's steal the distributorcap from the Nazi's car.....

while i am not a fan of the movie -- the opening sequence over the Alps is quite amazing

Steve said...

beauty and brilliance indeed.
when we (as in we) stop seeing that we're in trouble.
but so many people do. kings and presidents and senators and mayors and people whose worth is not measured in a single moment or the love of someone.
but in power.

but not us (and maybe my cat who is mad at me)
glad the Von Trapps made it over the border again. (hope this comment made sense)

CDP said...

Dcap--They do, don't they? I know, even if the movie isn't your cup of tea, you have to admit that the cinematography is pretty amazing.

Steve--that more than made sense.

dguzman said...

Don't you just love and hate those moments when you find yourself getting teary-eyed just staring at a tree's newly budding leaves, or at a little baby's sleeping face, or because you look up and realize that the sky looks just like it did on that day in 4th grade when you FINALLY got to go outside during class and clean the chalkboard erasers and it was even more fun than you had dreamed it would be.

Gifted Typist said...

Baroness Schrader to Max while watching Maria and the kids performing for the Captain who is obviously bewitched by the our nun:

"is there anything she doesn't do?"

It is the line of the movie, by far

CDP said...

GT--I also like when Max says "they get the fame, and I get the money. It seems unfair. But soon, that will change. I shall have the fame, too."

Dguzman--ha, it's getting to you, too, isn't it? We're no longer smart-ass 28 year olds. And thank God, btw.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.