Monday, May 11, 2009

Finals

Much to my relief, I'm finished with English 303, Critical Approaches to Literature. I turned in my final paper on Friday, then took the final, which was held, interestingly, on the basketball court at the University of Maryland's former Cole Field House, now the Cole Student Activities Center. My first thought, when I received the email confirmation of my final exam date was "Cole? Where, on the effing basketball court?" Then I thought "Silly. Cole has offices and conference rooms and stuff, so the finals are probably being held there." But there they were, tables and chairs for about 400 people, right there on the temporarily carpeted basketball court. My hand still hurts a little; three hours of writing by hand when I don't usually write anything longer than a check by hand will take a toll.

Just answered the door. It was two Korean Jehovah's Witnesses, and my visible lack of Koreanness threw them a bit. They actually looked at one another with a mild "what the hell?" look, and told me that they were looking for a Korean family. I, of course, pretended that I had no idea where any Koreans might be. This has happened twice before, both times with different JWs. Someone has obviously told them that there is one Korean and two half-Koreans in this house, but as long as I'm the only one home, I can maintain plausible deniability regarding the presence of Koreans. And PS--If you don't want people to know immediately that you are, in fact, Jehovah's Witnesses, then put away The Watchtower. The Hangul edition looks just like the English edition.

This is going to be my last post for a while, so sorry it's not so good. Everything's OK, I just have a lot of work to do right now, and I need to take a break. I'll still be reading your blogs, but I might not be commenting. It might be a couple of weeks, or maybe a couple of months, but I'll be back. This isn't a final. Maybe just a midterm.

15 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I love who you toy with the JW's. You're my kind of gal!

Cid said...

I have been wondering how Gen X or Z (or whatever the latest students are) they manage to write exams without a keyboard. Even my writing has changed from longhand to a keyboard. Hmmm.. perhaps a post topic?

WendyB said...

"Koreans? What Koreans?"

Lisa said...

I cannot even imagine writing long hand for long periods of time now. Ouch!

Will miss you - don't be a stranger. You have my phone number, nag, nag, nag.....may be following you out the door to take a break.......

3carnations said...

If it wouldn't have caused them to stay longer, you should have told them that you are Korean. Let them think about that.

Come back soon! :-)

dguzman said...

Way to eff with the JWs' minds!

Take a nice vacation, but don't forget to come back.

Utah Savage said...

Enjoy your break.

I'm putting you on the feed so I actually came to grab your http thingy and follow you as I should have done long ago.

Sauntering Soul said...

Ya' know, I'm not sure why I never knew you were attending University of Maryland, but I've been on your campus before. It's really pretty. I had an ongoing "thing" (call it whatever you want) with a flamenco musician in the D.C. area about 4 years ago and he was working on his Ph.D. in ethnomusicology - something I had never heard of prior to meeting him. I went with him to drop something off to one of his professors one day when I was up there visiting him. And that right there is my extremely uninteresting comment to make today.

Enjoy your break, but please make it a brief one!

Suze said...

You better come back. I'll send the Korean JW's back to your door periodically to check up on you.

Embee said...

congrats on getting thru the academic year with some sanity left. I'm right behind you. One final left then graduation on Friday, then I'm FREE!!!! (Until August when I start my MFA....)

Enjoy whatever time you take away, but as everyone else has commented, don't be too long!

susan said...

We used to have to write highschool finals in the gym at widely spaced desks with teachers on patrol. It was always a little unnerving.

I'll miss coming by to read your droll take on the world but you must do what you must. I'll check in every so often and in the meanwhile, take care.

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I love playing with JWs' minds. They now pass our house, while looking at it with a certain disdain. No, I'm not imagining this.

Matty Boy said...

You can't fool me! You asked about how to waste time, I mentioned "Bubble Spinner" and you wrote that you wouldn't even Google it!

You Googled it, didn't you?

I'm sorry to be a bad influence. Stop the Bubble Spinner and get back to the writing. It's really for the best.

Steve said...

not so good? I laughed my a** off
good old Cole. Saw a couple games there.
And at least the rain ended for a bit this week
hope you and your family are all doing well

Gifted Typist said...

All the best, please come back when you're up to it. Will miss ya

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.