Friday, May 22, 2009

Fish and Visitors


“Good to have you back, Squidward.”


“Well, it’s good to be back, sir.”


Hello! Appearances to the contrary (meaning I’m still unemployed, so how is it that I’m so pressed for time?), it’s been a busy two weeks or so. Memorial Day weekend has arrived by complete stealth, as it always does, and our swim team season starts tonight with the annual parents’ meeting. After which, I’ll return home to entertain my houseguests…the houseguests whom I have never met, did not invite, and whose existence and plans to spend the weekend chez CDP I learned of last night. I don’t know when these people are coming; maybe this afternoon, maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow morning. Mi casa es their casa, apparently. I also don’t really know how many people I expect. My husband’s mother says that she “thinks” that the couple has one child. Her track record re knowing the story is not a good one, though, so I could be hosting a Korean Cheaper by the Dozen by tomorrow morning for all I know. Stay tuned. I expect a full frontal assault on my nerves, but this always makes excellent material. There is always a silver lining, isn’t there?


What else is new? If you follow me on Twitter, you know that we visited the “liberry” yesterday, as 4yo wanted a “lava book on volcanoes”. The children’s section was well supplied with volcano books; we chose one from about 10 that were available. It’s good reading. Right now, we’re in the backyard. 4yo climbs up the ladder on the swing set, and says “Hey Mommy…say ‘why don’t you go jump off a building?’” I do as instructed, and he jumps. Repeat as necessary. Other than liberry expeditions and watching my son base jump, I’m preparing for another class, starting Tuesday. I’m finessing my second Information Technology requirement by taking something called Ethics in the Information Age. I feel a little guilty about it, as there are far more challenging classes that I could take. But it’s summer, and my instinct right now is avoid challenge and to embrace lassitude. I was torn between this and another “IT lite” class, but when I saw that the assignments for this class include only reading and four short papers involving NO RESEARCH WHATSOEVER, I registered without delay. Meanwhile, I await the final grade from my last class. My paper on “Master Harold…and the boys” got the highest grade I’ve ever received on an assignment, despite my fear that it was the worst paper I’d ever written. There is no accounting for taste. For example, one or two of you might still be reading this utter bilge (I should do a search to see how often I use that phrase. It’s one of my favorites). If so, I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend, and I will be back very soon with more half-baked silliness.

12 comments:

Boxer rebel said...

I had seen you around at Lisa/DCup's site and probably at a few other blogs and yet I never checked you out. Then blogger recommended your site and I started reading not so long ago. The site is great, just wanted to let you know you had gained a new reader since I use Google Reader and I am not sure how that shows up if you are tracking readership or that kind of stuff. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.

FranIAm said...

Hey watch it! As I write to you I am sitting in the home of people I don't know, using their wireless, eating their food, leaving my 10,000 (or 11 if I am honest) theology books all over their kitchen table as I work on a paper. (but am reading your blog instead.)

Seriously, I am in North Carolina at a wedding, staying at what is way more than a McMansion, it is a real mansion and I spent the whole day freeloading in the home of people I don't even know.

It is great! I stink like a big fish and I love it!!

Back to my paper on the Trinity. And by the way - I so so so LOVE Boxer Rebel.

CDP said...

Boxer--hi, and thanks! If you're OK with Lisa and Fran, you're OK with me...I'm going to visit you.

Fran--I bet you were invited...and if my visitors turn out to be one-tenth as cool as you are, I'll have no complaints (but they will, if they're expecting a mansion, as my house is anything but.)

Gifted Typist said...

Welcome back.

Here's a little thing, hope you don't mind. Can you make more paragraphs so it's easier on the eye?

Just saying, cause I love reading thing.

CDP said...

GT--I'm always reminding myself to do that....sometimes, I write a post or article or whatever and realize when I'm done that it's just a big block of text. I'll keep trying!

FranIAm said...

I am invited to the extent that my friends who are getting married (some bloggy friends no less) arranged for Jane to stay here.

It is a mansion of sorts, on the water.

I did have all my theology books all over the table and I have cheerfully, albeit politely, eaten their food.

Perhaps you should be glad you do not have a mansion... they might settle in, as I have here.

Fergie said...

HAHAHa!

I am, just now, thanking God that you posted this... because I have been living on an Island with rare visits from friends or even friend of friends or even some weird group of people my Partner invited over. I was feeling sorry for myself over the past seven years of solitude, but now I am thinking that, as I do like quiet, it might not be so bad.

I will also admit a tinge of jealousy that someone loves and trusts you enough to just show up at su casa (-:

And re: the whole unemployment business thing... I really can't think what will I do when I finally find another job? When will I have time to go to work? Will nothing else ever get done or will I have to forego sleep? I'm willing to find out! <^;

BeckEye said...

I'm enjoying my long weekend in that I get to sleep in late every day, but it's been pretty boring. Maybe I'll go jump off a building. Thanks for the inspiration!

3carnations said...

If you become host to a huge Korean family, have them answer the door when the Jehovah's Witnesses come.

Sauntering Soul said...

I'm glad you're back! We've missed you around here.

I can't wait to read about your weekend visitors.

CDP said...

Fran--that looked like a fabulous wedding and weekend, I saw a couple of your posts!

Fergie--I know, I feel exactly like I did at the end of my maternity leaves...like I had so much to do that there was no way I'd have time to work.

BeckEye--Oh sure, glad to help!

3Carn--EXCELLENT idea!

SS--it's nice to be back...and the houseguests were barely here! More on that later.

caitlin.maia said...

hi :)
i started a blog but i couldn't figure out how to follow you on here or whatever. so i figured i'd just let you know about it here.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.