Monday, June 8, 2009

Who are you, and what have you done with my mother?

I just finished an ice cream. I'll wait, while someone alerts the media.

This was a vanilla soft-serve ice cream, with sprinkles. If I were among my people, I'd just call it "custard", and the topping would be called "jimmies" because Philadelphians call soft-serve ice cream "custard" and we call sprinkles "jimmies". But I suspect there's be a lot of what-the-hell looks out there if I wrote that I just ate custard in a cone with jimmies, so I'll bow to the common usage, just for the sake of clarity.

Where was I?

Right, the ice cream. It's not like I don't eat ice cream, it's just that I don't usually say "sure, let's go" when a kid asks for ice cream at 8:30 on a school night when I haven't finished cleaning up the kitchen, and then there are showers to take and stories to read. But that's what I did. It's this whole "lighten the hell up" initiative that I've put in place for this summer. The fact that I refer to it as an "initiative" and that I feel the need to document every ice cream run and pool visit would suggest that I have quite a ways to go before I can consider myself fully lightened up, but it's a step. It's incremental progress.

In other news, I might or might not have an essay published soon in a real live well-known publication. I have to make some edits, and if the editor likes the second draft, then it might appear in actual print, followed by a check payable to me. That's all I'll say for now. Send me prayers or positive thoughts, according to your beliefs.

15 comments:

FranIAm said...

Prayers, positive thoughts, custard, jimmies, tastycakes and more coming your way.

Oh yeah! Published. That would be bee-yooo-de-ful.

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Well! Good luck with the secret writing paid exercise missy!

As for the ice cream, yum! I'm not an ice cream fan, I much prefer yogurt (there, I said it out loud) but soft serve is quite delicious on occasion. Custard to me is...well...custard. Like pudding. British pudding. In fact back in the UK we always had custard style yogurt which was a delicious mixture of yogurt and actual vanilla custard swirled together with some fruityness like rhubarb or strawberry. UTTERLY FABULOUS. Not the same as US custard yogurt I hasten to add. If you're ever in the U of K, get some.

PS Sprinkles are for pussies. :)

Steve said...

sounds like a positive step to a great summer!

caitlin.maia said...

ooh! i hope it works out. that is something that would definitely make me happy.

also...jimmies > sprinkles

PENolan said...

Ice Cream AND money?
Life is good

susan said...

I have fond memories of soft serve ice cream with melted chocolate that solidifies into a coating. What's that called?

That's great news about possible publication. How cool :-)

3carnations said...

Good luck!

Ice cream at 8:30. You're wild. :-)

dguzman said...

Rock on, lady! Good luck! I got a check for 20 bucks the other day from someone who writes iPhone apps--she used one of my bird pics for the app! I'm a professional photographer! The worst one in the world, granted, but I'm a professional!

Hey--my girlfriend mentioned "jimmies" the other day and indicated that it might just be a racially insensitive term for the brown sprinkles. I'd never heard it so I couldn't comment. What do you think?

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

You go girl, get published in other places that pay money.

CDP said...

Fran--and soft pretzels, right? Although we just call them "pretzels".

VA--I know that cake takes a much higher rank in the dessert hierarchy than ice cream for you.
(and if sprinkles are for pussies, so are cupcakes. Suck on that, Highlander.)

Steve--thanks!

CM--I know, it would make me happy too, but I'll live if it doesn't work out.

PENolan--I know, how can one go wrong?

Susan--thanks! And we called those "chocolate dipped". I worked in a custard place when I was in high school, and one of the first things I learned was how to dip the cone without dropping it into the chocolate).

3Carn--thanks! And of course, having read this blog for so long, you're well aware that there's really no end to my debauchery.

Dguzman--that is very cool! As for "jimmies" being a racial slur, I've never heard that. On the other hand, I grew up in Philadelphia in the 1970s, so it's not outside the realm of possibility, is it?

Dr. M--thank you!

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Them's fightin' words, Philly. Besides I am immortal.

enc said...

I'm exploding with glee for you about this possible publication. Dang you, CDP, I'm proud of you!

As for the lightening up, I think you're doing very well indeed. So well, in fact, that I would like to sign up for "Lightening Up Lessons" from CDP!

CDP said...

VA--ooh, I'm so scared, Braveheart!

enc--thanks! I can't wait til you're back.

Gifted Typist said...

Ohhhh, do tell when it's published, and tell where its published too

CDP said...

GT--oh, just try and stop me from doing just that.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.