Friday, July 10, 2009

An unrequited meme



I've been awarded and tagged by the fabulous Lady Who Doesn't Lunch. The award is the herein pictured One Lovely Blog Award, which is accompanied by the following meme:

5 Obsessions

1. Stalinist Russia. Cheerful, right? I just finished reading Martin Amis' Koba the Dread: Laughter and the 20 Million. I think often about his point that the reaction to the misery suffered by Stalin's victims is frequently laughter, and that jokes about the gulag (such as those that I make all the time) are acceptable, while the same joke made about Treblinka or Dachau would brand the joker as a monster. Anyway, Amis calls the conditions in Russia under Stalin "negative perfection". For so many people, every moment and every day and every aspect of life were filled with unrelieved, hopeless misery. I can't fully imagine what this is like, and I'm profoundly grateful for that.
2. Swimming laps. I love to swim outside, and I'm always determined to swim laps outdoors as often as possible before the summer ends.
3. Ridiculously overpriced skincare products. Obsessions come and go, but this one is a perennial for me.
4. Freeze pops; the kind that come in the little plastic bag. I hadn't had one for years, and then I decided to have one with my sons one day, and it was a revelation. They're SO GOOD, and they're about 25 calories each! Which is meaningless when you eat ten in a single day, but still!
5. What to do? My "summer off" is going to end eventually, and I really haven't decided what to do next.

5 Dislikes

1. The fact that I dislike far more than five things.
2. People who knock on my door at 6:30 pm, tell me "don't worry, I'm not here to sell you anything" and who then proceed to try to sell me something. I like them even less when I tell them (truthfully in this case) that I can't talk because I'm just getting dinner on the table, and they say "I just need a minute". I do not have a minute for such people.
3. Putting gas in my car. Did you know that there's no such thing as a self-serve gas station in New Jersey? I might move there.
4. Writing checks. I pay most bills online, and when I run across the rare bill for which I can't just send an electronic payment, I'm so grateful for online banking and shudder to recall the days of a stack of paper bills which required checks.
5. Flavored potato chips.
I hereby award the "One Lovely Blog" award to all of my blogroll and followed blogs, and I hereby tag no one. But do leave a comment if you decide to do an obsessions and dislikes list. I love reading lists.

9 comments:

The Vegetable Assassin said...

Ha! I did my meme from the Lady today too. Must be a day for it!

I remember last time I drove in NJ being totally confused. People pump your gas, how quaint! :) I didn't realize it was a state wide thing till later.

Embee said...

I love these little memes...they give you such insight into people.

And Oregon doesn't have self-serve gas, either. I lived there until I was in my 30s and when we moved to ND it was a shock to have to pump my own!

Whiskeymarie said...

I hate writing checks too, but I must firmly disagree on the flavored potato chip issue.

Not even sour cream & onion? Dill pickle? Cheddar?

We pretty much ONLY have self-serve gas in MN. It sucks.

CDP said...

VA--yes, it's the law, and it's awesome.

Embee--I'll make a note of that...Oregon is another potential future home if I don't have to pump gas there.

WM--hey there! No, no flavored potato chips. They are almost as much of an abomination as self-serve gas.

Lisa said...

I can totally see you cruising down the grocery store chip aisle, sticking your Freeze Pop colored tongue out at the flavored chips.

susan said...

We drove all the way across the country pumping our own gas, washing our own windshield and checking the oil. We arrived at our first gas station in Ontario OR and the young attendant almost killed himself trying to reach us before we grabbed the pump etc.

enc said...

I love learning all about you!

Distributorcap said...

despite the fact they pump your gas - i dont think moving to NJ is all that it is cracked up to be

CDP said...

Lisa--that was me! Barbecue...bah.

Susan--It's the same way in NJ--they're very quick to get to out-of-state vehicles.

enc--You make me feel so much more interesting than I am. thank you.

Dcap--OK, you might have a point. I'll do a pro and con list before I sell the house.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.