Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Departed

I took the boys to the Dulles Air and Space Museum today. It's one of their favorite places. Did you know that the real, live Enola Gay is housed there? I've seen it at least half a dozen times, and I'm still a little shocked and awed every time I look at it. It's suspended from the ceiling and you can look right inside the cockpit from the elevated walkway. I stare at it, wondering what Col. Tibbets was thinking right before he dropped the payload that would kill 70,000 people.

Sometimes, I have these days when I feel like my life is far too commonplace, and that I'm creating a commonplace life for my sons. Swim team, trips to the library and the museum, Legos, movie nights...we don't really do anything extraordinary most days.

I'm preoccupied with violent political upheaval, in a general, nonspecific sense, because I'm also preoccupied with the nature of ordinary, everyday life, and the former destroys the latter. I know that no two people have ever been alike, in the entire history of humanity; every single one of the seventy thousand people who perished when the Little Boy fell down on Hiroshima was unique. Every single one of the twenty million who disappeared into Kolyma, or Lefortovo, or Sukhanovka had a priceless and irreplaceable life. All of the people who were consumed and destroyed by every single Auschwitz, or Darfur, or fill in the blank manmade hell on earth of a killing field: what wouldn't they have given for one more day of blessed, ordinary life? God help me for ever being so ungrateful.

7 comments:

Steve said...

IMHO by writing this you are not ungrateful but exactly the opposite.

And what may seem commonplace to you probably seems pretty cool to the kids.

just my 2 cents

The Vegetable Assassin said...

I think the same things when I'm whining about my dissatisfaction with something in my life. It's nature. I think the fact that you remember these things and make that connection, shows you are definitely not ungrateful. :) In fact these events make you WANT to make your life interesting, it doesn't make you ungrateful at what you already have.

dguzman said...

That's pretty deep, CDP.

Saoirse in Spokane said...

I too worry for the political climate in our country and the safety for our president. Commonplace? Sounds like a good life. Relax and enjoy.

enc said...

EVERYbody's life is ordinary. We just trump them up so we can feel important.

There's nothing wrong with being ordinary and wanting to live one more ordinary day.

Lisa said...

I think that creating routine is good. It's what's inside us that is extraordinary. Trust me - you and your family are extraordinary.

Freida Bee, MD said...

CDP- I love you for writing this. Maybe there is something good in our having that urge to rise above the ordinary, and maybe from time to time, when it's not too ego driving, it pushes us to go a little further, step outside of our comfort zones just enough to create something really wonderful..., like this post.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.