Friday, August 7, 2009

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

The paper I've been writing since the dawn of time is about privacy and free expression on the Internet. Having read an article regarding privacy issues with Facebook, I decided to sign up so I'd understand the terminology. "The wall" was particularly mysterious to me. So you could say that I joined Facebook for research purposes.



Is it mere coincidence that every single ad I've seen since yesterday has been for a product that I have purchased, or that is similar to something I've purchased, or that has something to do with something I've written about online? Before yesterday, I had never been on Facebook, not even one time. So how did the Internet fairies figure out that I am the person to whom one should try to sell skincare products, and books, and swim goggles? I'm more than a little freaked out. Further research led me to this article, which led me to this list. I have some updating to do.

*****

It's a few hours later now. I'm quite sure that s'mores are not a suitably antioxidant-rich, low-calorie, whole-grain bedtime snack for a woman in her forties, but that's what I'm eating right now. They're good for the soul. We just returned from a neighbor's backyard showing of a movie, the title of which you can guess by reading the title of this post. Try to guess without Googling, and leave your guess in the comments. Note to Matty Boy and Beckeye: No comments from you! I know that you know.

11 comments:

caitlin.maia said...

I know! I know!
But I'll do what i do in class and let someone else answer.

I have to get my license so i can come visit you while you're still home all the time. We can have sleepovers and braid each others hair :)

And talk about how much we don't like facebook.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Mmmmmmm, s'mores.

PENolan said...

As you wish.

SaoirseDaily2 said...

I remember smores from a long ago past when sugar was a friend. I don't know the movie. We plan on watching Inkheart sometime this weekend.

I joined Facebook awhile back and check in every so often, but, got tired of the constant gift giving and joining invitations. I just stopped responding.

Enjoy your weekend.

Fergie said...

... have fun storming the castle, boys!

Distributorcap said...

i just felt like saying hi

CDP said...

Caitlin--and you'd make an excellent dread pirate Roberts.

Dr. M--they were good.

PENolan--:)

Saiorse--you too!

Fergie--INCONCEIVABLE!

Dcap--Hi! I sent you a friend request on FB.

小貓咪 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lisa said...

Oh, so THAT's why you're on Facebook. Well, I hope that I've furthered your usage needs there by annoyingly tagging you. As for those ads, it's all very 1984, isn't it?

P.s. s'mores are good for you. In an alternative universe. I just know it.

Sauntering Soul said...

I had a sudden craving for chocolate chip cookies over a week ago when I was heading to the studio to teach a class so I bought a pack of three cookies at Zaxby's. Once I got to the studio, I got really busy and my craving passed so I never ate them. Then I forgot they were in my purse (they were wrapped individually so thankfully I had no crumbs in the bottom of my purse). I found them last night and don't think I didn't eat one of them last night before I went to bed. I bet eating one 9-day-old fast food chocolate chip cookie is worse than eating s'mores.

victor said...

Hello People, I was on a holiday for a month just passing by read this interesting post its great to see that every thing here is getting more lively...thanks a lot for these keep them coming....
___________________
victor
Best place for your complete Internet marketing

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.