Tuesday, August 18, 2009

When I get back, you'll know

I've never blogged on an Apple computer before.  Before now, that is.  Right now, I'm on a ridiculously comfortable chair and a half in the living room of our beach rental in Avalon, NJ.  The Macbook belongs to one of my sisters.  We are in Avalon, rather than Sea Isle City, because my other sister felt that she needed a "change of scenery" for vacation.  I was thus highly amused when she called me half an hour after that conversation to tell me that she'd found a place in Avalon, which is approximately one mile away from Sea Isle.  It's as if I'd turned to my husband in our kitchen in Silver Spring and said "I need a change of scenery.  I'm going to Rockville!" 

Another first: I'd never done karaoke before last night.  We had dinner at a restaurant/bar, and Karaoke Night was about to begin as we were finishing dinner.  We stayed because my 12-year-old nephew wanted to sing, and before I really thought it through, I'd agreed to sing Amy Winehouse's "Rehab".  I was wearing a pink summer top, green capri pants and sandals, a ponytail, and pearls, and I looked like I'd never had a drink harder than a white wine spritzer. Yes, I've been black, but these people didn't know.  My 8 year old back up singer in his "Swimmer of the Week" tshirt inflicted even more damage on my already deeply compromised street cred.  I saw the words "four bar intro" on the monitor, then I saw a sea of "she can't pull this off" faces, and then I just sang.  It wasn't too bad.  I realized, when it was too late to turn back, that I really don't know that song very well at all.  Should I ever agree to do karaoke again, I'll be sure to choose a song that I really know.  Still, it could have been worse.  

My sister's computer is on very limited battery life, so this is all for now.  We'll be here until Saturday, but I don't expect that I'll be appearing live on stage again this week.  

9 comments:

Matty Boy said...

Yes, knowing a karaoke song backwards and forwards is essential. I did a credible job at a recent wedding with Marvin Gaye's Let's Get It On and Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love, but I chose them after much deliberate care.

Cid said...

Oh where are the photos of above mentioned karaoke singer?

Saoirse in Spokane said...

Karaoke is for fun, who cares what people think. Its nice to read you are enjoying your vacation.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I would have killed to have seen you sing. ;0)

enc said...

The first thing I thought when I read this was that you should have sang "Rockville" ("don't go back to Rockvillllllllllllle") by R.E.M.

Watch out for your sister's computer, it'll probably overheat. Don't ask me how I know this.

Have fun!

leslie said...

I once tried singing the turtles "happy together" live on mic with a friend's band at practice and learned to my very great chagrin that it wasn't at all in my vocal range. hadn't even considered that before going for it. ha! live & learn.

Sauntering Soul said...

You are awesome!

3carnations said...

I've never done Karaoke either. Unless singing badly in the living room with no music counts. Heh.

Freida Bee, MD said...

I, for one, would have really appreciated any talented novice karaokeing. I hate it when all the singers are like professional karaokeers. Boring.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.