Wednesday, October 14, 2009

CDP: Today's WORST BLOGGER IN THE WORLD! (Part Deux)


I've been busy for the past week and a half.  I think I've finally adjusted to working every day, since it's not quite a full day.  But my sister-in-law got married on Saturday, so the week leading up to the wedding was filled with errands, and retrieving Koreans from various and sundry airports, and socializing with said Koreans, and attending the rehearsal dinner and the ceremony.  Add to this children's swim practices, homework (8yo's, not mine.  More on this later.  Later in this post, actually.  Meanwhile, 8yo's vocabulary list includes the word "genre", a rather strange word choice for a third-grader), normal routine household responsibilities and a visit to the dentist and the Social Security Administration and it was a busy busy busy week. 

Notice something missing from the "I'm-busier-than-you" list?  This, right here.  I actually had several ideas for posts (and in an emotional moment following one of my periodic clashes with my mother-in-law, I wrote and discarded a seething screed in which I cursed her and all her works and pomps.  We're OK now.), but I've had no time to sit and write.  Some of the ideas I've forgotten, and some, like the preceding example, have been determined to be of the "seemed like a good idea at the time" variety.  So that leaves me right here, writing about my sorry excuses for lack of blogging production.  Maybe I'll try the every day method again.  Or maybe I won't.

Without school, I'm temporarily lacking a blogging focus, and I'm thinking of starting a new blog, with a theme and everything (maybe more on that later.  This time, "later" means in another post).  I didn't graduate, and I'm not quitting, but I did have to take this semester off.   I wasn't sure if I'd find a job, so I didn't want to spend $900 on tuition.  More importantly, I didn't really know if I could manage a class and a job again.  Long-time readers might remember that at my last job, due to a planned closure which took 18 months, I had long stretches of time during which I had nothing to do.  I did schoolwork with the full knowledge of management.  I suspect that this would be frowned on in my new job.   I'll be back in school next semester, hopefully to regale you with outrage over conflicting citation style requirements, disdain for poetry, and criticism of criticism.  Don't say I never give you anything to look forward to.

9 comments:

susan said...

There are times it's difficult enough focusing on what's right in front of your face. Then it ends and all of a sudden the good ideas come back. I've seen posts far worse than this - including some of my own :-)

I bet the wedding was fun once you had time to remember it.

Matty Boy said...

All of us are doing this blogging thing WITHOUT PAY. We owe our fans (if any) our best work, but it's our decision what we do with our time.

I decided to try to blog every day. While I'm busy, I'm also a hermit, so taking time to blog only takes a few minutes a day out of my time reserved for foraging berries and grubs. You, on the other hand, are not a hermit. You've prioritized your life and the priorities make sense to this casual (way) outside observer.

P.S. You do have fans. We aren't going anywhere. Post when you can.

Embee said...

Probably not a bad idea to take a semester off to catch your breath. I can relate, though I'm too far into it to quit for 2 seconds and I'm hoping the momentum will carry me thru if nothing else does. Because I apparently misplaced my sanity somewhere a few semesters ago. And I will undoubtedly be in debt up to my eyebrows until I die. But I will finish, damn it. In the meantime I'm drowning in superfluous reading so much so that I have no time left to write, which is ironic since I'm working on an MFA in writing.

Anyway, glad to see your post. I've been guilty of neglecting my blog as well as neglecting the blogs I love to read. Hang in there!

Minka said...

You do sound busy, wow! Hope you find more time in the future for the things you like doing. On the other hand, the things that keep us too busy sometimes, are not always the ones we dislike. Like kids, for example. Good blog!

Fran said...

Worry not. We love you. And you blog about anything with grace and talent. Plus you've got teh funneh too!

Sheesh.

Frankly, I want to hear the MIL screed!

Steve said...

i so agree with Fran!

and genre is a pretty cool word at any age

enc said...

I knew this stupid "job" was going to cut into my enjoyment of your blog.

I order you to quit!

CDP said...

susan--the wedding was fun only in an "it's over now" sense.

Matty--I know, and where's the justice, right? In all seriousness, though, I intend to sit and write something every day, and all of a sudden it's 10 or 11 pm, and I no longer have the energy. Maybe I'll adjust to this new schedule in a few more weeks.

Embee--losing the momentum is a serious concern for me. I'm not at all sure how I'll be able to pick up where I left off in January.

Minka--that's true. No complaints, I just wish I had an extra 60 minutes a day.

Fran--when we meet again, I'll tell you a little about it.

Steve--thank you, sir.

enc--I do miss being able to blog from work.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

If I had a nickel for every time I scrapped a scathing mean blog post - well, I'd have a lot of nickels. Although I would love to have read such a thing from you I'm sure it was brilliant.

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.