Saturday, November 7, 2009

its a hrd knk life

I was testing my new phone on Twitter the other night, and joked that I was going to write an entire blog post about the phone and how I came to have it.  Then, I realized that there actually might be something worth posting about in the story of the new phone.  Just as quickly, though, I was momentarily distracted and forgot my idea, leaving me with nothing more than "Hey!  I have a new phone, and I just updated my contacts, and sent a bunch of test text messages!  The end!"

I've built lengthy and pointless blog posts on far less than this, of course, but I really did have a point other than the new phone.  Most of you know that back in January, I lost a job I'd held for a long time, due to the acquisition and shutdown of the company I worked for.  I received a generous severance package, and I used it to replace the windows on my house and to spend a few months hanging around with my kids.  Everything was fine, we were paying the bills and the wolf was nowhere near the door.  He wasn't even in the neighborhood.  Still, as I spent the severance money, and my bank balance steadily shrank, unreplenished by new income, I became anxious about money.  Expenditures about which I would not have wasted the proverbial second thought became sources of additional anxiety.  I knew I was going to go back to work but I really felt no confidence that I'd be able to find a job when I wanted one. 

It wasn't all anxious pessimism.  My new caution about money became kind of a game, too.  I clipped coupons.  I bought store brands. I gave up my book-buying habit and rediscovered the library.  I looked for ways to avoid spending money, and was positively gleeful when I found them.  Now, I'm back at work, but I'm still hanging on to my new frugal habits.  I haven't bought any new clothes this fall, and I pack my lunch everyday.  I'm actually downright cheap.

Right after the layoff, flush with the severance money, I decided to upgrade my phone, to this one.  I text more than I talk, and texting on a 10-key phone is no fun.  It takes entirely too long, and I don't like not being able to punctuate and capitalize properly either. For example, my cousin and I exchanged frequent texts during the World Series. We were dismayed, to say the least, about Joe Buck's oh-so-obvious pro-Yankee bias. So with a 10-key phone "Asshole. (Joe Buck, not you.)" would have read "asshole joe buck not you." Unacceptable.  Also, I use actual words in text messages; IDK what most of the abbreviations mean, and OMG I so do not want to know (although I think I might have invented OMG.  More on that later.)  English has worked well for me for many years, and I'm going to stick with it.

It's already far too late to make this long story short, but to condense a bit, I had one problem after another with this phone.  Not long after I had to replace it for the third time, I lost it.  Not misplaced, but lost; I looked everywhere and retraced every step, and the phone had vanished.  My plan didn't allow for a free replacement or upgrade, since I'd already had one, and I could not bring myself to pay for a new phone. Here was the perfect example of the expenditure about which I wouldn't have thought twice two years ago.  Verizon offered me a very nice messaging phone for $49.99.  It's not that I have ever been a person who would just casually throw away $50, but two years ago, I'd have thought "unfortunate but necessary expense.  Sold".  Now, "necessary" has taken on an entirely new definition. My husband has two phones; his personal phone and his business phone, and he'd wanted to get rid of one anyway, so he just reprogrammed it with my number, and I was all set.  It wasn't a QWERTY phone, but it didn't cost any money either, and this was its most compelling feature. 

I was all full of virtuous modern Depression frugality; but this, predictably, got old.  I missed being able to text properly.  My resolve started to weaken, and I started pricing phones again.  Then, my husband got an email from Verizon...he was eligible for an upgrade!  Two of the phones that were offered were free, and one was a messaging phone.  Because he's a good husband, and because his text messaging is limited to "10-4", "whats yr 20" and "on my way", he offered the phone to me.   Email me your cell phone number, and I'll send you a properly spelled and punctuated text message.  Brother, can you spare a phone?

9 comments:

susan said...

So far both of us remain in the dark ages of only having a land line but there are times when I wonder how it is that Qwest can charge us $55 a month just for having one plugged in. The day will come in the not too distant future when we'll be traveling back to the east coast to live. Then we'll learn what cell phone tech is really like. When that happens I'll send you my number ;-)

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Texting, I don't do it.

Fran said...

u know whr 2 rch me w/ txt. kk thx bye!ps thx 4 mtg me 2day 4 lnch & 4 a ride. gr8 2 cu.

enc said...

While you and I use AP style for texting, we could help your hubbo be more frugal with his "on my way"s and encourage him to reduce it to "omw."

Steve said...

i am so not a texter. too old to adapt i guess (is ther an acronym for that?)

Sauntering Soul said...

Because it takes me 45 minutes to type the word "hi" on my phone, I do not text unless I absolutely have to.

Mauigirl said...

Hi, I totally agree with you about the texting thing! I finally broke down and got a Blackberry for the same reason. I refuse to send messages that are not grammatical, spelled out fully, capitalized, and punctuated properly! Probably makes us old fashioned but I will be stubborn about this till the end!

Freida Bee, MD said...

With two teenage daughter, I have come to embrace texting. At least one of them showed me houw to use that feature in which your phone intuits what word you're going to use. It's actually pretty cool.

At least with texts, my daughters use very few minutes.

Love the tagline (buying underwear at K-mart).

Beck said...

I don't have a cell phone. And it's not that I'm full of virtuous Luddite frugality or ANYTHING but simply that I rarely leave the house.

Isn't that depressing?

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.