Sunday, December 6, 2009

To go

I remember being a child, but in a vague and nonspecific way.  I only remember particular details occasionally. 

When I was growing up, soda was a rare treat, and a fountain soda from a restaurant was my favorite of all rare treats.  We had an ice cream stand in our neighborhood (I ended up working there when I was in high school) and when we went for ice cream in the summer, I would often order a soda instead of ice cream.  "Really?" my mother would say. "That's all you want?"  Yes, it was, and I could make it last for an hour, chewing all of the ice cubes once the drink was gone.  I never chew ice now; in fact, I shudder at the thought of chewing ice.

8yo also loves soda, and he also hardly ever gets any (unless I'm not home, when apparently, it becomes like a damn free-for-all around here.  I digress.)  We had lunch today at our beloved Tastee Diner, and 8yo, for once not finishing his Sprite within moments of receiving it, had the cup with him in the backseat of the car.  After the third noisy end of the cup slurp, I issued a cease and desist order.  A few minutes later, I heard the unmistakable muffled wet crunch of an eight year old eating ice cubes.  He asked my husband to change the radio station, from sports news to music.  I remembered how nice it was to be eight years old, munching on ice cubes in the back seat of the car, hoping that my favorite song would come on the radio.

12 comments:

Suze said...

Aaah, me too!

The Vegetable Assassin said...

THANK YOU! I nearly ALWAYS order a soda when everyone else is getting ice cream. When I was a kid I was the same way - we'd go for ice cream in summer and I'd ask for a Coke instead. There's such pleasure in it, especially when you're only allowed it occasionally. Today I still get a giant kick out of soda although I have switched to diet and drink it every day. :) I'd still rather have a fountain soda than ice cream.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

The little apples don't fall far from the tree do they my friend.

3carnations said...

I'm also a reformed ice chewer. :-)

Soda is such a rare treat at my house that my son asked two months in advance if soda could be served at his 5th birthday party. The funniest part - Sprite was provided at the party, but every child - Himself included - Preferred my son's other prime choice of beverage: Orange drink.

Sauntering Soul said...

We were never allowed soda in my house either. I loved, loved, loved going to visit my grandparents down in Vidalia, Ga during summers, etc. One of my favorite things about it was that my brothers and I were allowed to drink all of the soda we could possibly fit in our little bellies for however long we were there.

The Lady Who Doesn't Lunch: said...

If there is an opportunity for me to have ice cream I have ice cream.

My dad worked for a soda company and yet I've never really cared much for soda.

Embee said...

Very sweet story. My mother never allowed us soda, either. Now I drink it like crazy. Go figure.

Steve said...

it is so great having those fond memories aint it?

enc said...

What a great memory.

Mauigirl said...

Lovely memories! One of my favorite childhood memories is sitting in the back seat on the way home, holding the real rye bread my mother had just bought at the bakery - the kind that was hard on the end with a shiny crunchy shell to it, sticking out of its paper wrapper - She used to let me chew the end off of it! (I guess they cut it off when we got home).

dguzman said...

Awww....

Anonymous said...

Dear Author auntdahlia.blogspot.com !
Where you so for a long time were gone?

All material on this blog copyright CDP 2007-2010 unless otherwise noted.